fred

Default Fitting laminated glass

In article , Andy Hall
writes
On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:33:41 GMT, fred wrote:

I used security glazing tape for mine Andy, plus wooden beads on the
outside, gaps as you describe. The tape was 1 or 2mm foam with super
sticky adhesive on both sides from a local glazing supplies co. Mine was a
security app tho.

Thanks Fred.

My application is also a security one. I'm probably going to use
8.8mm glass for this particular job.

Where does the tape actually fit? Is it stuck to the edges of the
rebate of the frame such that it's in contact with the edges of the
glass, or to the face of the rebate and therefore in contact with the
surface of the glass near the edges? If the latter, is some used on
each side of the glass?

The latter, and I only fitted it to the rebate side, although if you fitted it to
the beads as well I would imagine it would give extra resistance to the
edges of the laminated glass pulling out under repeated heavy blows or
kicking.

What does the tape actually achieve?

I have used it twice, once on DG units to avoid casual removal of the units
when the beads were removed and then on laminate to make glazing in
some storm doors more resistant to kicking in. It is reputed that when
fitted with tape it is impossible to remove the glass from the outside
without breaking it . Removal in case of breakage is from the inside by
cutting the foam layer, much as windscreen fitters do.

The rebate must be scrupulously clean of course.

HTH
--
fred