Posted to rec.woodworking
Airedale Airedale is offline

Default Proper Saw for flooring?

On Oct 22, 4:37 pm, FrozenNorth wrote:
On Oct 22, 3:16 pm, FrozenNorth wrote:

took a can of maroon spray paint on October 22,
2007 04:07 pm and wrote the following:

I am planning on putting in some laminate flooring very soon and also
needed something to do some cuts for building some shelving. I am
planning on putting in the DuPont laminate flooring.

I am just starting to build my collection of power tools (YEAH!). So I
thought I would ask the experts their opinion as to whether or not I
made the right decision.

I bought a Ridged 10" Compound Miter saw.

The decision for this is that for one the guy at HD said that the 10"
Miter would be enough to cut the flooring.
Second, I am doing 45 degree cuts and was looking for some accuracy. I
thought about a table saw, but felt that I would get better cuts with
the miter. Am I correct in this thought?

I have a feeling the Miter may not be enough for the flooring, am I
right? Is there an "All-In-One" tool that would be better for the
flooring, or was I right in purchasing the miter, but I will also have
to purchase something else?

Thanks!

Depends upon your flooring, I also own a Rigid 10" Miter Saw, just put

down
a laminate floor this weekend, the 10" would not cut it at 90 degrees,
never mind at 45, I just used a circular saw and a jig saw for some of the
odd cuts..

Just posted a picture in abpw, before reading this post, it does show the
flooring.

quote emailed message
How wide were the planks that you were cutting? Do you wish you got
the 12" Miter instead?

BTW - I am unaware of abpw. Could you give me a link?
/unquote

Please respond to the group, not via email, unless you may think you know
me.

8" wide boards, my 10" CMS will cut to about 7 1/2, or a bit more, i.e it
will cut a 2x6, but fails on a 2x8, I just bring out my circular saw for
those cuts.

alt.binaries,pictures.woodworking, I notice you are a google groups poster,
you will not be able to find it, you will need a real usenet account.

--
Lits Slut #9
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.- Hide quoted text -

I am really sorry for responding to you via email. I clicked on the
wrong link. I am using google because it is easier while at work... I
will jump on there and take a look though.

Thanks