Posted to alt.home.repair
Phil-In-Mich. Phil-In-Mich. is offline

Default Cutting openings in sheet metal ducts.

"BETA-32" wrote in message
. ..
I need to cut 2 rectangular openings in an existing HVAC supply and return
ducts.

How can I do this?

I've tried using a power jigsaw with a metal cutting blade -- big mess.

I see things like power shears when I do Google searches, but that seems
like a whole lot of money to spend to just cut the 2 openings.

Are there any hand tools or cutting chisels that will work for this?

Any other suggestions?

Hand tool to use is sometimes called Aviation snips, or Aircraft snips. Has
mechanical advantage to make cutting metal much easier. Don't get the long
jaws tool. Will easily handle most duct work steel.

May leave the metal rough and edges rough. Go to Automotive store, or
sears, and get auto body and fender work tools, and there are small hand
held anvils, called 'dolly blocks,' IIRC. A set of body work tools may out
of your price range.

Just went up to Sears, (which in this rare case the craftsman tool might be
OK.) they look like are starting the holiday sales with a set of aviation
snips for a reasonable price. If you go to Sears, stick with craftsman line
on this. Looks like cost will be reasonable come November. Most BORGs
carry aviation snips. I like brands: Wiss and Stanley. Have used Klein,
seemed OK.

Phil