Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default find out your phone number by dial several numbers on the phone.

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 22:09:52 -0700, DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Oct 21, 9:24 pm, wrote:
I need to replace a phone line from the NID to my home.
The NID outside my home(5-story) has about 12 phone lines connect to
it.
I don't want to dissconnect my neighbour's phone line when replacing
it.

Last week, when verizon(NY) came to my workplace and did some repair.
I saw them just connect a test tool and dial several numbers on the
phone to retrieve the number that belong to that line.
I saw they also successfully retrieve it using a regular phone.

Does anyone know what number to press in order to retrieve the phone
number?

Slightly OT, but when I was a teenager in NYC, there used to be a
number you could call and it would ring your phone back.

There used to be one of those here, before they put in the ESS
switching. Its original function had to do with party lines (which is
how I found out about it) but it was useful from any line.

Sometimes I've wished it still worked. I'd call the operator and she
refused to do it. Of course, now I have a cell phone and can use that.

My parents hassled me less if I had a valid reason to go out, so I
would dial the number, answer my phone and then tell my parents
something like "That was Russ. We're going bowling. See ya later."

Sometimes for fun I'd call my grandmother in the other room when the
paper came. She knew and answered with "Jimmy Carter's residence".

BTW, it seemed strange that most local calls required 5 digits then,
but if you wanted to call someone on your party line it took 10
digits.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy