Jon Elson

Default TIG questions

Richard Coke wrote:
From: Jon Elson

Sometimes
I touch the electrode to the metal, but that contamination
burns off after a few seconds, it seems.

In addition to what Ernie has said I would advise you to not continue welding
after you contaminate the electrode. Stop, clean it, resharpen it and then go
back to work. You can get an accumulation of metal deposited on the inside of
the cup that boils off the electrode when you continue welding after you
contaminate the tip.

Right, I was pretty much aware of this. But, I was only getting 15
seconds of work before the EWP electrode was just sputtering and
flashing! And, the thing looked like it had blobs of molten steel
melted into the entire exposed length right up to the collet!

I switched to some 25 year old 2% Thoriated electrodes I had laying around,
and they worked BEAUTIFULLY. I can't believe an EWP electrode is supposed
to be that awful, so I am wondering if these electrodes are of poor
quality. (Hmm, looking on the back of the box, it says "made in China".
How come I thought I might find such a label there?

Jon