Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default classic bathroom remodel need some suggestion / ideas

On Oct 22, 7:10 am, " wrote:
On Oct 22, 2:45 am, "W.H." wrote:

Hi there, how are you doing?

First please take a look at this photo:

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/...34608565873016

Our current problem is that the current bath tub would leak to
downstair garage and our contractor said that to repair the plumbing
problem, he really need to forcefully remove the current tub (which
would destroy it) but we really want to keep the current wall tiles
intact as much as possible), you simply can not find this kind of
craftsmanship these days...

Our contractor suggested that we replace the old pedestal sink with a
vanity to hide all the pipes underneath. Originally I thought that to
replace a new pedestal sink would be a better idea but eventually we
agreed with him. Currently we are looking for these two combination to
replace the current pedestal sink:

Vanity:http://store.designerplumbingoutlet....ctaa3622d.html

Vanity top:http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...?item=10811602

(both with "Almond" color)

This is the only way that we could find matching color with the
toilet, the bath tub, and the vanity sink (all almond). The toilet and
the bath tub currently we have narrowed down to choose Kohler's memoir
suite

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...ns_details.jsp...

Here are my questions:

1. Would this combo work? Do you think the Kohler "Iron Impressions"
vanity sink might look too "contemporary" and would not match too well
with the current classic look? Wouldhttp://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BuildLinkToHomeDep...
actually a better choice?

2. Again we want to keep the current wall tiles as intact as much as
possible. However, the current pedestal sink has height of 31 1/4",
while the Pegasus Vanity CTAA3622D Vanity has height of 34". As you
could see from the photo, this would create a problem as the new
vanity would get too close to the two black "soap holder" and "cup
holder", which again we want to keep them both intact. Would it be a
good idea to remove the "RTA Feet" on the Vanity (to make it lower)?
Would this be a good idea?

3. Any other suggestion about how to keep the wall tiles intact while
keeping the current classic look as much as possible? Thanks a lot!

I agree with 'joe'.
First step is to check plumbing connections from below.
T- Hide quoted text -

Get another plumber, you probably have access behind the tub and
probably from underneath. Baths are and were designed to be repaired.
I would be suprised is you cant get access to plumbing somewhere.
Often just behind tub fixtures is a plumbing access or cut a hole in
the oposing wall, it looks like you can, its alot cheaper and the bath
looks nice. As for the sink I think he is wrong again, go price a
quality pedistal. Tiles Will be ruined removing a tub.