Posted to alt.home.repair

Default classic bathroom remodel need some suggestion / ideas

Hi there, how are you doing?

First please take a look at this photo:

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/...34608565873016

Our current problem is that the current bath tub would leak to
downstair garage and our contractor said that to repair the plumbing
problem, he really need to forcefully remove the current tub (which
would destroy it) but we really want to keep the current wall tiles
intact as much as possible), you simply can not find this kind of
craftsmanship these days...

Our contractor suggested that we replace the old pedestal sink with a
vanity to hide all the pipes underneath. Originally I thought that to
replace a new pedestal sink would be a better idea but eventually we
agreed with him. Currently we are looking for these two combination to
replace the current pedestal sink:

Vanity:
http://store.designerplumbingoutlet....ctaa3622d.html

Vanity top:
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...?item=10811602

(both with "Almond" color)

This is the only way that we could find matching color with the
toilet, the bath tub, and the vanity sink (all almond). The toilet and
the bath tub currently we have narrowed down to choose Kohler's memoir
suite

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...te&category=77

Here are my questions:

1. Would this combo work? Do you think the Kohler "Iron Impressions"
vanity sink might look too "contemporary" and would not match too well
with the current classic look? Would
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...de=cii_9324560
actually a better choice?

2. Again we want to keep the current wall tiles as intact as much as
possible. However, the current pedestal sink has height of 31 1/4",
while the Pegasus Vanity CTAA3622D Vanity has height of 34". As you
could see from the photo, this would create a problem as the new
vanity would get too close to the two black "soap holder" and "cup
holder", which again we want to keep them both intact. Would it be a
good idea to remove the "RTA Feet" on the Vanity (to make it lower)?
Would this be a good idea?

3. Any other suggestion about how to keep the wall tiles intact while
keeping the current classic look as much as possible? Thanks a lot!

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

if the tub drain can be accessed from the garage you would be foolish not to
do so. I would get another contractor.in either case he will have to open
the garage ceiling to make the repair.very nice bathroom.

"W.H." wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...ns_details.jsp...

with the current classic look? Wouldhttp://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BuildLinkToHomeDep...
actually a better choice?

2. Again we want to keep the current wall tiles as intact as much as
possible. However, the current pedestal sink has height of 31 1/4",
while the Pegasus Vanity CTAA3622D Vanity has height of 34". As you
could see from the photo, this would create a problem as the new
vanity would get too close to the two black "soap holder" and "cup
holder", which again we want to keep them both intact. Would it be a
good idea to remove the "RTA Feet" on the Vanity (to make it lower)?
Would this be a good idea?

3. Any other suggestion about how to keep the wall tiles intact while
keeping the current classic look as much as possible? Thanks a lot!

I agree with 'joe'.
First step is to check plumbing connections from below.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 7:10 am, " wrote:
On Oct 22, 2:45 am, "W.H." wrote:

[...]

T- Hide quoted text -

Get another plumber, you probably have access behind the tub and
probably from underneath. Baths are and were designed to be repaired.
I would be suprised is you cant get access to plumbing somewhere.
Often just behind tub fixtures is a plumbing access or cut a hole in
the oposing wall, it looks like you can, its alot cheaper and the bath
looks nice. As for the sink I think he is wrong again, go price a
quality pedistal. Tiles Will be ruined removing a tub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

W.H. wrote:
[...]

If you simply want the leak fixed, then fix the leak. Ripping out the
ceiling of the garage has got to be cheaper (by thousands of dollars) than
replacing all the fixtures in the bath.

Tubs were designed, and installed, to be repaired. I'll wager the leak could
be fixed for $100 (not counting re-doing the garage ceiling).

If, on the other hand, you want to remodel the bath and are using the leak
as an excuse...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 22, 3:27 am, "joe" wrote:
if the tub drain can be accessed from the garage you would be foolish not to
do so. I would get another contractor.in either case he will have to open
the garage ceiling to make the repair.very nice bathroom.

Hi Joe, that was exactly the problem. The contractor tried to access
from the garage but simply can't do it.. :-(

Posted to alt.home.repair

ransley wrote:

Get another plumber, you probably have access behind the tub and
probably from underneath. Baths are and were designed to be repaired.
I would be suprised is you cant get access to plumbing somewhere.
Often just behind tub fixtures is a plumbing access or cut a hole in
the oposing wall, it looks like you can, its alot cheaper and the bath
looks nice. As for the sink I think he is wrong again, go price a
quality pedistal. Tiles Will be ruined removing a tub.

Hello W.H.: You have a beautiful original bathroom. This is what a lot
of people like. I agree with what Ransley and others have said. Just
fix the leak. Breaking up that cast iron tub will destroy a lot of tile
(not just one row). First, get another contractor to look at the garage
ceiling, and have him go ahead and open the wall in the room behind the
tub, even if it is an exterior wall, and even if you have to open the
floor in the room behind the tub. If you are taking out the tub because
you also want a shower (in addition to the leak), instead just have
glass walls installed above the tub.
Second, as others have said about the pedestal sink: if you want a new
sink, the foot on the pedestal will cover most of the piping, and it's
OK for some of it to show in my opinion. You can even put that hard
foam insulation on both hot and cold lines, and paint it almond. If the
surface finish of the bowl of your existing sink is scoured and dull,
you can get it epoxy sprayed.

If you want to go with the new vanity sink, I would NOT cut off the
feet. In my opinion it's OK to have the surface of the sink close to
the soap holders. Once I replaced a two-footed sink with a laminate
counter and raised it up to touch the soap dishes, and I think it worked
great. Higher sinks are more convenient.
Also, if you go with the cabinet vanity, I don't think the vanity top
has to be almond. A darker color would be beautiful also if it was
black or like the color of the small decorative tiles.

Third, yes, in my opinion that Impressions vanity top is much too
contemporary to use in a classic or updated-classic bathroom.
--JJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

I agree with everyone else -- fix the leak. It can be done. Sometimes it
is even as simple as the space around the shower faucet handles (UNDER the
cone shaped part that goes against the wall) needing to be filled with 100%
silicone.

The plumber is just looking to get you into doing a big job and not just a
repair. Get another plumber.

Also, have you tried to find another corner-style tub like the one you have
now? I think they are nowhere to be found.