Ernie Leimkuhler

Default TIG questions

In article , Jim C Roberts wrote:

Ernie aka, "The Man", wisely advised.................

You should try some stainless steel filler rod on your steel welds to
see if they settle down.
Stainless can deal with more contaminated materiel.
The nickle and chrome help it flow in nicely.

Ernie,

Could he possibly be heating the metal past its melting point and causing
it to boil? I have been guilty of this before, especially using 2 different
thicknesses of metal.

Regards,
Jim

You can boil the steel all you want as long as it is shielded by Argon.

PS Ernie, I have to eat a little crow regarding a comment I made in a post
a week or so ago. I questioned your advice on using Zirc. tungsten for
Alum. I was having problems with the arc being very unstable and the
tungsten was getting corroded badly. Come to find out, the cup had a small
amount of Alum. slag stuck to the inside of it. It didn't seem to bother
the pure tungsten, but was playing hell with the Zirc. Changed the cup out,
no more problems.
So, do I get some salt to go with the crow, or is that not on my diet plan
either?? 8)

JR

I have eaten enough myself for it to qualify in my low-carb diet.