Posted to alt.home.repair
Dee Dee Dee Dee is offline

Default Counterytop doesn't meet tiles

On Oct 20, 7:17 pm, Steve wrote:
Dee Dee wrote on 20 Oct 2007 in group
alt.home.repair:

http://i20.tinypic.com/24wdmox.jpg

I had installed in a new countertop. The countertop and the tiles
don't meet vertically.
A repair person said that the tile and dry wall will have to be
replaced.

The tiles on the rest of the kitchen (in an L shape) are all in place
on the wall, but they do not meet the countertop either.

****

Two strips of tile (about 3/8") are missing near the corner where an
appliance garage was removed, so that is a problem as well.
http://i22.tinypic.com/6hsrja.jpg

Our countertops did not turn out the way we would like them; so we are
not looking for a perfect-looking kitchen. I have new appliances and
new Armstrong flooring as well. But I think tearing out tile (and I'd
put the same color - white back in) is too much expense. The grout in
betwen is a mauve colored grout, as the countertops were mauve
colored, and now they are beige. But I can live with the mauve color,
even though someone did 'hint' that it looked like it is dirty (which
it is not.)

Some of the tile above the stove was put back in by my husband, so he
is capable of replacing the tiles that are not there.

But we can't get any advise on what product or technique to fill the
space between the Cambria countertops and the tile if we do not want
to replace all the tile.

Some options, in decreasing order of my preference:

1. The counter installers should have shimmed the new counter to the
same height as the old counter. Ask them to come back and do it right.
Whether they agree will depend on how nicely you ask and what is in your
contract. They'll have to completely remove and reinstall the
countertops, so you're asking for a lot. You'll be lucky if they agree.

2. Take a sample of the tile to a real tile store, not a big box place.
They'll help you match some trim pieces that look like the trim you put
around wooden cabinets. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. I
would pick something like quarter-round or cove molding (Google for
these terms if you don't know what they mean). Put some silicone caulk
in the gap, then apply the trim pieces as recommend by the tile pro --
or have them do it.

3. Do #2, but use wood trim instead. It'll still look nice and be
cheaper, but won't be as waterproof. You can match the color of your
cabinets.

4. Get a real paint store, not a big box place, to custom-tint some
caulk for you to match your existing grout. Use it to fill the void. No
one will notice that the bottom grout line is a little bigger unless you
point it out. If you're lucky, one of the standard colors will match.

5. Do #4, but use custom-tinted grout. This is tougher to do that #4
because grout changes colors as it cures, while caulk usually stays the
same.

--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement- Hide quoted text -

Steve, I may be replying twice, my posting didn't 'seem' to go
through.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

1. This was discussed with installers previously; we will not be in
contact with our installers anymore; this is only a small part of the
reason.

2. Yes, we have looked at the quarter-round tile pieces and brought
home a few samples. I will take a sample of the Cambria and the
matching trim-piece tile and ask if the silicone caulking will adhere
to the tile and trim-tile and Cambria. But I assume you think it will
work as you suggested it.

3. I hadn't thought of wood trim. We had as a counter-top previously
(formica) that had wood-trim all around it. I don't know what wood it
was, but even though the stain became worn-looking over the years, the
wood was certainly strong and still intact. It is a consideration;
thanks.

4. We have been to a paint store and matched our grout to a
successful color and he has already bought the tile and grout to
match; but Husband thinks the hole is too large to fill with grout.
hmmm ---

Thanks so much for your thoughtful answers.
Dee