Posted to rec.woodworking
Malcolm Hoar Malcolm Hoar is offline

Default Particle Board Woes

In article , "Bill" wrote:

What difference does it make if the source is the out-gassing of
Urea-formaldehyde or dust laced with Urea-formaldehyde? The former sounds
like even more of a problem as it sounds more difficult to get rid of.
Either way, the chemical seems to have been recognized as being not good for
people (particularly people like me). When I described the situtation in the
first place, I was curious as to how many others shared the problem. Even if
one doesn't have an immediate problem with the stuff, I think one is
well-advised to be aware of it's presence and to minimize contact with it.
Breathing it everyday seems like a recipe for bad news.

Well, in this case, we don't know what caused your reaction. Only
that *something* that seems to be present in the big box stores
provoked a reaction.

Generally speaking, inhaling particulate matter (i.e. dust) is
not good for humans. The very young, the very old, and those
with respiratory problems (e.g. asthma) are especially vulnerable.
Those who spend large amounts of time around large quantities
of dust (e.g. at wood working machines) are well advised to wear
a suitable mask.

There are also chemicals that are harmful to humans.

But certain individuals suffer from allergic reactions to
specific substances; often substances that are basically
benign. Since many thousands of people visit big box stores
every day without reporting the symptoms that you experience,
it seems quite likely that you are allergic to something that
tends to be present in such stores. The fact that you suffer
an allergic reaction does not mean the substance is generally
harmful to humans.

However, it would be prudent for you to minimise your exposure
to the substances by avoiding environments which appear to cause
you problems.

Pollen from trees, grass, and other plants is not generally
considered harmful to humans. But it does cause millions of
people a great deal of discomfort and misery. Many sufferers,
like myself, are forced to minimise their exposure even
when it means forfeiting highly desirable environments
and activities.

For some unfortunate folks, a single peanut could produce
a (fatal) allergic reaction. Peanuts consumed in moderation
are not harmful or toxic to most humans; just a few
individuals. Those individuals need to avoid peanuts!!!

It sounds like you need to avoid the big box stores. Tough
titties. Is that fair? Of course not, and neither is my
hayfever. But it is a fact of life and something you'll
need to come to terms with.

| Gary Player. |

http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |