Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Particle Board Woes

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
When you sanded the particle board, you were generating particle board
dust and also exposing layers that may not have fully out-gassed. When
you
visit a retail store that sells PB, the dust you see on the PB is very
unlikely to be PB dust. However, the PB in those establishments is
relatively new and probably still out-gassing. If you are truly sensitive
to Urea-formaldehyde, it is most likely the out-gassing from the new
materials that is bothering you.

What difference does it make if the source is the out-gassing of
Urea-formaldehyde or dust laced with Urea-formaldehyde? The former sounds
like even more of a problem as it sounds more difficult to get rid of.
Either way, the chemical seems to have been recognized as being not good for
people (particularly people like me). When I described the situtation in the
first place, I was curious as to how many others shared the problem. Even if
one doesn't have an immediate problem with the stuff, I think one is
well-advised to be aware of it's presence and to minimize contact with it.
Breathing it everyday seems like a recipe for bad news.

-Bill