Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default ceiling fan prices

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:04:50 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
On Oct 19, 5:50 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm remodeling some rooms and want to add ceiling fans. In looking at
what's out there (Home Depot, Lowe's, Web) there's an amazing spread
of prices. What accounts for the difference? Does it have to do with
noise, velocity of air movement, what?

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
Indianapolis

All those things. Even if you don't end up buying one, go
herehttp://www.casablancafanco.com/home.html

and read about how a truly high quality fan is made. I've never seen them
at
the big box stores, only at electrical & lighting specialty stores. I
installed one in my previous house around 1990. It's still completely
silent
when it's running, and there is zero wobble. At its slowest speed, it
moves
plenty of air, unlike some cheaper fans.

On the other hand, I have two Hampton Bays from HD, both cost $100,
one I think was only like $55. And they are quiet and work perfectly
at 5 yrs+.

I have one that came with the current house. It makes an obnoxious ticking
noise as it turns, and it wobbles. It's a piece of ****. There are mixed
reviews of Hampton Bay (and Hunter) fans.

The (cheap) fan in the apartment where I lived 20 years ago a noise
like someone dragging a heavy chain across an iron floor all night
(reminds me of some old stuff about prisoners with "ball and chain"),
I had to learn to sleep through that, since the A/C didn't work very
well. The brand name on that fan was "Encon".

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."