Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ceiling fan prices

I'm remodeling some rooms and want to add ceiling fans. In looking at
what's out there (Home Depot, Lowe's, Web) there's an amazing spread
of prices. What accounts for the difference? Does it have to do with
noise, velocity of air movement, what?

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
Indianapolis

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm remodeling some rooms and want to add ceiling fans. In looking at
what's out there (Home Depot, Lowe's, Web) there's an amazing spread
of prices. What accounts for the difference? Does it have to do with
noise, velocity of air movement, what?

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
Indianapolis

All those things. Even if you don't end up buying one, go here
http://www.casablancafanco.com/home.html

and read about how a truly high quality fan is made. I've never seen them at
the big box stores, only at electrical & lighting specialty stores. I
installed one in my previous house around 1990. It's still completely silent
when it's running, and there is zero wobble. At its slowest speed, it moves
plenty of air, unlike some cheaper fans.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 19, 5:50 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm remodeling some rooms and want to add ceiling fans. In looking at
what's out there (Home Depot, Lowe's, Web) there's an amazing spread
of prices. What accounts for the difference? Does it have to do with
noise, velocity of air movement, what?

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
Indianapolis

All those things. Even if you don't end up buying one, go herehttp://www.casablancafanco.com/home.html

and read about how a truly high quality fan is made. I've never seen them at
the big box stores, only at electrical & lighting specialty stores. I
installed one in my previous house around 1990. It's still completely silent
when it's running, and there is zero wobble. At its slowest speed, it moves
plenty of air, unlike some cheaper fans.

On the other hand, I have two Hampton Bays from HD, both cost $100,
one I think was only like $55. And they are quiet and work perfectly
at 5 yrs+.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 19, 5:50 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

I have one that came with the current house. It makes an obnoxious ticking
noise as it turns, and it wobbles. It's a piece of ****. There are mixed
reviews of Hampton Bay (and Hunter) fans.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

I'm a pretty big fan of both Casablanca and Hampton Bays fans. I've
installed hundreds of fans over the years and my personal favorite has
always been Casablanca " Panama". These fans are absolutely silent and
perfectly balanced. Casablanca has had issues with their flywheels
separating from the motor and since Hunter Fan bought them, their customer
service is poor compared to what it once was. On the other hand Hampton Bay
is not a company, it's a trademark of Home Depot. The fans sold under this
name are manufactured by a variety of companies, some make an excellent
product at an unbelievable price, so if you don't want the spend the $300
for the Casablanca, you can get a perfectly decent fan from HD

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 19, 5:50 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I'm remodeling some rooms and want to add ceiling fans. In looking at
what's out there (Home Depot, Lowe's, Web) there's an amazing spread
of prices. What accounts for the difference? Does it have to do with
noise, velocity of air movement, what?

What the market is willing to pay.

Seriously. The difference in parts & manufacturing costs between fans can be
measured in cents. Especially as most are made in China these days. Regardless
of cost, the price goes up with the number of blades and the size thereof.

The most significant things to look for are exterior rated (if that's a factor
for you) and whether it comes with a light kit (if that's a requirement). Some
of the more expensive ones come with a remote control.

I recently bought a couple of exterior fans for a covered deck. The fans are
mounted high up in a protected eve and I was curious as to what the difference
would be from an interior fan.

Net difference - one rubber gasket where the wirebox mounted to the ceiling and
plastic blades instead of wooden ones.

--
"Tell me what I should do, Annie."
"Stay. Here. Forever." - Life On Mars
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 21:50:24 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I'm remodeling some rooms and want to add ceiling fans. In looking at
what's out there (Home Depot, Lowe's, Web) there's an amazing spread
of prices. What accounts for the difference? Does it have to do with
noise, velocity of air movement, what?

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
Indianapolis

All those things. Even if you don't end up buying one, go here
http://www.casablancafanco.com/home.html

and read about how a truly high quality fan is made. I've never seen them at
the big box stores, only at electrical & lighting specialty stores. I
installed one in my previous house around 1990. It's still completely silent
when it's running, and there is zero wobble. At its slowest speed, it moves
plenty of air, unlike some cheaper fans.

Some of the cheap ones are good. I put ceiling fans in my house 6 or 7
years ago (it was in the fall, which is still hot much of the time
here). I got 6 of them at K-mart and they were on sale for $30 each. I
still have all those. They work properly and are not noisy. The only
necessary maintenance has beet to tighten the screws holding the
blades on every couple of years.

BTW, I started with one and made sure it was suitable before buying
more of the same model.

I would recommend separate wiring for the fan and light (if you use
that). Individual wall switches are much easier to use.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 22:04:50 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
On Oct 19, 5:50 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

The (cheap) fan in the apartment where I lived 20 years ago a noise
like someone dragging a heavy chain across an iron floor all night
(reminds me of some old stuff about prisoners with "ball and chain"),
I had to learn to sleep through that, since the A/C didn't work very
well. The brand name on that fan was "Encon".

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm remodeling some rooms and want to add ceiling fans. In looking at
what's out there (Home Depot, Lowe's, Web) there's an amazing spread
of prices. What accounts for the difference? Does it have to do with
noise, velocity of air movement, what?

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
Indianapolis

Several factors:

Quality of all of the components. Motor, blades, castings.

How long do you expect to own the fan?

What do you want the fan to do? Work an hour here and there, or all day
every day? Do you want a simple one bulb light, or a fancy three bulb
arrangement? Do you even need light at all? Lights and their different
types add to the cost, and on some fans, you have to buy the light kits at
an additional price.

How important is a remote? Some circuits don't have the double wiring it
takes to run a separate light and fan from the wall plate, and the remote
solves this.

How handy are you? Could you balance it if it DID wobble?

Can you install it yourself?

If I had to give a simple answer to your question, it would be quality,
features, and product life affect the price the most. But then, cheap fans
blow forever, and expensive ones have problems every day. It's the luck of
the draw. But usually, on the better ones, you get better support and have
fewer problems.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in
:

I'm a pretty big fan of both Casablanca and Hampton Bays fans. I've
installed hundreds of fans over the years and my personal favorite has
always been Casablanca " Panama". These fans are absolutely silent and
perfectly balanced. Casablanca has had issues with their flywheels
separating from the motor and since Hunter Fan bought them, their
customer service is poor compared to what it once was. On the other
hand Hampton Bay is not a company, it's a trademark of Home Depot. The
fans sold under this name are manufactured by a variety of companies,

A year ago or so it was "King of Fans" out of FL.

some make an excellent product at an unbelievable price, so if you
don't want the spend the $300 for the Casablanca, you can get a
perfectly decent fan from HD

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 19, 5:50 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

http://www.RedGreen.com/index.cfm?app=cart&a=menu
http://www.RedGreen.com/files/layout...rg_gal_028.jpg

http://www.pbs.org/redgreen/about.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
oups.com:

I'm remodeling some rooms and want to add ceiling fans. In looking at
what's out there (Home Depot, Lowe's, Web) there's an amazing spread
of prices. What accounts for the difference? Does it have to do with
noise, velocity of air movement, what?

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
Indianapolis

If you plan on putting it on a dimmer, some models say don't do it. My
hum at anything other than top speed.

--
Red...

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

http://www.RedGreen.com/index.cfm?app=cart&a=menu
http://www.RedGreen.com/files/layout...rg_gal_028.jpg

http://www.pbs.org/redgreen/about.html

Sheetrock ceiling vs. drop ceiling tiles bluerock1 Home Repair 4 November 8th 06 05:10 AM
Ceiling fan- attaching the ceiling plate kennyjh Home Repair 4 April 19th 06 11:01 PM
Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling CJ Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:22 PM
Vaulted Ceiling--Installing Ceiling Fans Dave Combs Home Repair 0 July 31st 05 02:24 AM
Ceiling fan for new house - high ceiling Dermot O'Loughlin UK diy 7 February 23rd 05 11:22 PM