Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default shop building progress update...we have a partial erection!

Jim Chandler wrote:

I picked the A-Plane primarily based on the supposed cost to build
versus the cost of others. I have the fuselage frame built and am
working on the floorboards now. I was going to try to use a Honda
Goldwing 1100cc engine in it but, try as I might, by taking all the
tranny and accessories out, I still couldn't get it down past 135
pounds. Oh well, back to the drawing boards. The A-Plane website,
www.affordaplane.com was also a factor.

I cruised the web site and that one looked interesting. I'd have to lose a
few # to fit fully dressed in the allowance for passenger weight but wow
what an incentive.

I've kept a '80 Scorpion whip snowmobile engine around with at Cuyuna
(formerly JLO) 440 air cooled engine in case that could power a plane for
me.

I couldn't find Cheap Airplanes 2 on yahoo groups. Could you provide a
direct link, may be a problem with spelling or spaces.

I wanted to build a Avid Flyer but changes in economics killed that one. A
Whitman Tailwind was another one I liked. I had the privilege of listening
to Steve talk at EAA Oshkosh a few times. He was a true gentleman in every
sense of the word.

Keep us updated on your progress with the airplane project.

Wes

EAA Member since 1987