Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Two stroke motor without ENGINE OIL???

on 10/19/2007 1:11 PM Harry K said the following:
On Oct 17, 9:00 am, George wrote:

Harry K wrote:

I see that you have the explanation how they work. I apologize for
the 'rtfm' comment. Thinking back I was in the same position when
someone told me that diesel engines don't have spark plugs...well, not
after they are running at least.

Harry K

Diesels never have spark plugs. Some designs use glow plugs which are
actually just a little heating element to preheat the combustion chamber
. Some designs have a heating element in a box in the intake which warms
the air before starting.

Its the heat of compression that fires a diesel. If the weather is warm
or you had a sufficiently beefy starter you could start one without glow
plugs.

You should have learned not to say 'always' or 'never'.

Always remember never to say 'always' or 'never'.

Back in the
early days, the McCormick Deering (later International) all had spark
plugs for starting. They started on gas to warm up then changed over
to diesel. You can google International TD6 (for one) or Mc Deering
T20 for another. Those were in the 30s and 40s which is when I was
referring to.

Yes, before you go off on a tangent, the plugs were in the same
cylinders. There was a compression release that had to be set as part
of the starting procedure.

Technology moved on using first glow plugs and then nothign at all in
many cases.

Harry K

--

Bill