Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Electrical Outlet Wiring

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 00:20:37 -0400, "Proch"
wrote:

Well I was a EE in college, but I know alot more about stuff that runs at 5V
than 120. I'm not worried that I won't be able to figure it out, I'm just
looking for a heads up because I can forsee being in the basement with a
flashlight trying to figure the whole tihng out while everyone is whining
about the power being out...

[snip]

I was studying digital electronics in college, but did once take an
elective course in NEC. I remember getting one test question "wrong",
in one of those cases where you get penalized for knowing something
you aren't expected to.

The question was about a 3-phase wye-connected motor, and asked True
or False: the current in each leg is the same. The supposed "correct"
answer was True, although I knew that was impossible. One of things
they taught in electronics was that the sum of the currents in a node
is always zero (electrons are flowing FROM somewhere TO somewhere).
The currents could never be equal unless they were all zero.

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."