Posted to alt.home.repair
The Streets The Streets is offline

Default Sliding patio door inside or outside?

"Norminn" wrote in message
** Frank ** wrote:
Went to a demo show on installing patio door by a local rep. I'd noticed
the sliding panel was on the inside (of the house) and the stationary
panel on the outside on the demonstration. I don't remember ever seen the
slider on the inside so was the local rep. had it backwards or is this
the new way of doing it?

We have triple panel glass with slider in center. Slider is on inside,
and units are quite old - 35/40 years. I assume the slider is inside so
that the track it slides on is protected from water and dirt.

IMHO any sliding door with the slider on the outside (and screen on
the inside) was installed by someone who ordered the wrong door,
didn't know better, or didn't care.

In the past I've installed tamper-proof screws for clients who had doors
installed like this and were concerned about how easy it would be for
someone to unscrew the track and take the slider out. Just another
downside to having the slider on the outside, in addition to all the
things that other posters have mentioned.