Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Adam Corolla Adam Corolla is offline

Default Lead (Pb) price continues to skyrocket

"David Harmon" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:17:43 -0500 in rec.crafts.metalworking, "Adam
Corolla" wrote,
Then you'll have to go with tungsten, or maybe iridium... You can get
pure
tungsten for three dollars an ounce, and it's about 75% heavier than lead!
But I guess even with lead's price increase, it's still much cheaper than
tungsten.

Some time ago I found a used carbide diamond-shaped tool insert lying on
the sidewalk. I don't use insert tooling, so I was surprised to find how
heavy it was for the small size. Tungsten carbide, presumably. How
much does used carbide go for per pound? Would sinkers or boat keels
molded of used inserts embedded in epoxy be economical?

Well, tungsten carbide is of course much less dense than pure tungsten, but
still denser than lead I believe. I guess it would depend on the ratio. My
guess is that they would not be economical--due to the much higher price of
tungsten scrap vs. lead scrap.