Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic azotic is offline

Default Lead (Pb) price continues to skyrocket

. net...

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
newsDRRi.20450$G25.20306@edtnps89...
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Adam Corolla" wrote in message

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. 131...

Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20
cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard
don't
look so crazy.

It looks like the price of all the metals listed on that site (Aluminum,
zinc, nickel and copper in addition to lead) have undergone dramatic
increases in the last two years.

Though lead has increased more than other metals, my take is that the
metals aren't increasing in value so much as the value of the dollar is
dropping.

An excellent observation. You want to put it in perspective?

An ounce of gold still weighs 480 grains, but it now takes about $760 of
our useless dollars to purchase one. Official gold valuation, prior to
1933, was $20.67/ounce.

Harold

Really, Harold.

Out of context, this looks like a huge devaluation. In context, not so
much.

Oh, contraire! It is a huge one. In my lifetime, I can recall 1st
class postage costing 3¢ (three cents, in the 50's and earlier), and a
post card only 1¢ (one cent). You don't think that's a huge
devaluation? Increases come regularly now, each of which is often as much
as one used to pay for posting a letter.

Better comparisons would be to look at the price of gold, etc, against
the monthly average wage.

Wages have increased a great deal, also, in the time frame. A guy that
could buy an ounce of gold on his payday then, can still pretty much buy
one now.

Inflation sucks, but comparing just one data point, such as "the price
then was..." is pretty much useless info.

Compare how long a person could live, on the sale of an ounce of gold,
then to current state.

That would be a little better comparison.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

That's the point, however. All those other things do is present more
examples of what I'm talking about. The fact is, the dollar is
worthless-----so everyone demands more of them to stay even. I simply
used an ounce of gold as an example. Could have just as easily used the
house I bought in '63 for $18,750. I sold it long ago, bit it would be
"worth" around $250,000 today. The dollar is worthless, there's no polite
way to say it. Nothing displays that better than the price of commodities
today.

Surely, you remember when a barrel of crude was three dollars?

Harold

There are plans to replace the US dollar with a regional currency. If that
actually comes to pass it will be the time to own things. I understand that
some of the new currency has already been minted. The plan calls for a
common currency for the US, Canada and Mexico. It will be intresting
to see what the exchange rate will be when US dollars are converted to
the new currency. Forgien investors may be in for real shock if they are
banking on the US dollar. It appears there would be a massive devaluation
of the greenback if this happens. BTW the pics i have seen of the AMERO
appear to be gold coinage.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...xt=va&aid=7058

Best Regards
Tom.