Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Electrical Outlet Wiring

In article ,
"Proch" wrote:

Well I was a EE in college, but I know alot more about stuff that runs at 5V
than 120. I'm not worried that I won't be able to figure it out, I'm just
looking for a heads up because I can forsee being in the basement with a
flashlight trying to figure the whole tihng out while everyone is whining
about the power being out...

So don't do it in the dark, and don't do it while the family is at home.
Run an extension cord of whatever length is needed to get your 1000 watt
halogen worklight down there before you turn off the relevant breaker.
Then open up the switch and outlet boxes and pull things out so you can
see the wires.

Don't disconnect anything. Study things until you understand them. Make
a drawing of the way things are. Make another drawing of the way things
would need to be in order to have a switched light and an unswitched
outlet.

If you can do that, then make the wiring match drawing number two. If
you can't do that, then call an electrician.