Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Why SO MUCH for a door pull (piece of metal)

In article .com,
Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

Is there an explanation for the price (other than supply-demand) for
an item like this:

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product3964

which is essentiall a piece of metal?

I've seen slightly more elaborate pieces of metals for over $800.

I guess the real question is where could I find ORB door pulls for a
more reasonable price (e.g. 1/20th)

Thank you in advance!

Aaron

You're gonna have to help me out with ORB. Acronymfinder.com didn't
suggest anything appropriate.

As far as price, well, if it sells for $400, it has to be made for $100.
$10 for raw material, and another $10 for plating, a few for packaging,
now we're down to $75. If it's made in a machine shop in the United
States, that's less than an hour. Seems easy enough. Yep, a tad
overpriced, but not all that much. It's "Signature Hardware," after all.

Let's see, 1/20 of the price, now we're talking China and Walmart. I
hope your job isn't in danger of being outsourced just because you and
your neighbors are spoiled, and haven't the damnedest notion how much it
really costs to make things.