Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why SO MUCH for a door pull (piece of metal)

Hi,

Is there an explanation for the price (other than supply-demand) for
an item like this:

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product3964

which is essentiall a piece of metal?

I've seen slightly more elaborate pieces of metals for over $800.

I guess the real question is where could I find ORB door pulls for a
more reasonable price (e.g. 1/20th)

Thank you in advance!

Aaron

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Is there an explanation for the price (other than supply-demand) for
an item like this:

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product3964

which is essentiall a piece of metal?

I've seen slightly more elaborate pieces of metals for over $800.

I guess the real question is where could I find ORB door pulls for a
more reasonable price (e.g. 1/20th)

My conjecture would be that they're small volume item w/ quite a lot of
hand work targeted to an also small-volume market that is essentially
100% discretionary spending driven.

As for the second, no clue...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Is there an explanation for the price (other than supply-demand) for
an item like this:

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product3964

which is essentiall a piece of metal?

I've seen slightly more elaborate pieces of metals for over $800.

I guess the real question is where could I find ORB door pulls for a
more reasonable price (e.g. 1/20th)

Thank you in advance!

Aaron

There are probably dozens of suppliers online. Here is one of several
I've used successfully:

http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/gr...0%26%20Handles

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 7:24 am, dpb wrote:
Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Is there an explanation for the price (other than supply-demand) for
an item like this:

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product3964

which is essentiall a piece of metal?

I've seen slightly more elaborate pieces of metals for over $800.

I guess the real question is where could I find ORB door pulls for a
more reasonable price (e.g. 1/20th)

My conjecture would be that they're small volume item w/ quite a lot of
hand work targeted to an also small-volume market that is essentially
100% discretionary spending driven.

As for the second, no clue...

--

IMO dpb hit the nail squarely on the head.....they tend to be luxury
items & are priced "as the traffic will bear".

Google

baldwin dummy knob

here's for Baldwin hardware (~1/20)

http://www.homeannex.com/prodView.as...ELAID=52417275

check for your style desired

Ace Hardware in Santa Ana, CA

714-541-5268 is major supplier (walk-in, phone & online) of Baldwin;
pretty good prices as well

here's some info on Quikset hardware (cheaper)

http://www.ebuild.com/products/produ...973/pageNum.0#

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 9:56 am, Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Is there an explanation for the price (other than supply-demand) for
an item like this:

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product3964

which is essentiall a piece of metal?

It's big, fat, made of solid bronze or brass, and is a boutique item.
There's no point in asking why.

I've seen slightly more elaborate pieces of metals for over $800.

I guess the real question is where could I find ORB door pulls for a
more reasonable price (e.g. 1/20th)

That's a big item you linked to. They're also called appliance pulls
when they get that big. They're also more of a commercial item when
they have such a large diameter. If you're locked in to that exact
style, you have a bit of searching to do, or you'll have to pony up
the money, and that's what they're counting on. Here's something a
bit different, different size and cheaper.
http://www.cabinet-pull.com/catalog-...hp?p_ref=36933

When I'm doing such searches I usually type in what I want, do the
Google, then select the Images tab and search visually. That will
locate a vendor who will have alternatives and similar items.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Aaron Fude wrote:
Hi,

Is there an explanation for the price (other than supply-demand) for
an item like this:

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product3964

which is essentiall a piece of metal?

I've seen slightly more elaborate pieces of metals for over $800.

I guess the real question is where could I find ORB door pulls for a
more reasonable price (e.g. 1/20th)

Thank you in advance!

Aaron

Its mostly aimed at the McMansion, fluffed up truck as a fashion
statement "car" bragging rights crowd. You know the I have a 186" TV or
"these are custom door pulls made just for me and they cost $7,000" etc
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Aaron Fude" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

Is there an explanation for the price (other than supply-demand) for
an item like this:

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product3964

which is essentiall a piece of metal?

I've seen slightly more elaborate pieces of metals for over $800.

I guess the real question is where could I find ORB door pulls for a
more reasonable price (e.g. 1/20th)

Thank you in advance!

Aaron

Not sure of your location, but around Portland (OR) there are several
recycling and rebuilding centers. Door hardware there is cheap if you can
find what you're looking for.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:56:50 -0000, Aaron Fude
wrote Re Why SO MUCH for a door pull (piece of metal):

guess the real question is where could I find ORB door pulls for a
more reasonable price (e.g. 1/20th)

Here's a nice one

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...611&lpage=none
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:56:50 +0000, Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

Is there an explanation for the price (other than supply-demand) for
an item like this:

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product3964

which is essentiall a piece of metal?

I've seen slightly more elaborate pieces of metals for over $800.

I guess the real question is where could I find ORB door pulls for a
more reasonable price (e.g. 1/20th)

Thank you in advance!

Aaron

Good argument for greed.
On the other hand, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
Aaron Fude wrote:

Hi,

Is there an explanation for the price (other than supply-demand) for
an item like this:

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product3964

which is essentiall a piece of metal?

I've seen slightly more elaborate pieces of metals for over $800.

I guess the real question is where could I find ORB door pulls for a
more reasonable price (e.g. 1/20th)

Thank you in advance!

Aaron

You're gonna have to help me out with ORB. Acronymfinder.com didn't
suggest anything appropriate.

As far as price, well, if it sells for $400, it has to be made for $100.
$10 for raw material, and another $10 for plating, a few for packaging,
now we're down to $75. If it's made in a machine shop in the United
States, that's less than an hour. Seems easy enough. Yep, a tad
overpriced, but not all that much. It's "Signature Hardware," after all.

Let's see, 1/20 of the price, now we're talking China and Walmart. I
hope your job isn't in danger of being outsourced just because you and
your neighbors are spoiled, and haven't the damnedest notion how much it
really costs to make things.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Hi,

Is there an explanation for the price (other than supply-demand) for
an item like this:

http://www.signaturehardware.com/product3964

which is essentiall a piece of metal?

I've seen slightly more elaborate pieces of metals for over $800.

I guess the real question is where could I find ORB door pulls for a
more reasonable price (e.g. 1/20th)

Thank you in advance!

Aaron

Anyone that pays that price is an idiot.
You can get cheaper ones at H.D. or any hardware store.
Or just bend a piece of scrap tin and make your own for free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 18, 11:51 pm, wrote:

Anyone that pays that price is an idiot.
You can get cheaper ones at H.D. or any hardware store.
Or just bend a piece of scrap tin and make your own for free.

Yeah, I'd like to see the blood stains and rust on your door handles!
And the idea that making your own is free only if you place no value
at all on your time. The thing the OP linked to is either solid brass
or bronze, depending on the finish. ORB is oil rubbed bronze.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 05:15:05 -0700, RicodJour
wrote:

On Oct 18, 11:51 pm, wrote:

Anyone that pays that price is an idiot.
You can get cheaper ones at H.D. or any hardware store.
Or just bend a piece of scrap tin and make your own for free.

Yeah, I'd like to see the blood stains and rust on your door handles!
And the idea that making your own is free only if you place no value
at all on your time. The thing the OP linked to is either solid brass
or bronze, depending on the finish. ORB is oil rubbed bronze.

I dont make my own in the house. Mine came with the house, but I have
bought them for other projects at about $2 each and they look nice and
are durable. On the other hand, I have made them for barn doors, out
of 1/8 inch thick by 1" steel. It takes me about about 10 minutes
with a torch, hammer and vice to bend them. The ones I make cost 25
cents for the metal and another 10 cents for the spray paint and torch
gas. I save buying the ones that cost $8 each, and mine are much
stronger. No, they are not sharp.

The thing the OP linked to damn well better be made of brass at that
rediculous price. Or, actually it should be made of solid gold.....
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Oct 18, 11:51 pm, wrote:

[...]

It's a status symbol, so one pays for the name.
Why does a celebrity spend $13,000 for a handbag?
http://tinyurl.com/36mczk

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY