Posted to alt.home.repair
** Frank ** **    Frank    ** is offline

Default Sliding patio door inside or outside?

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
t...

"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message

Therefore, I would guess the slider on the inside is the
standard convention.

Pella puts them on the outside. The theory being, if the wind is blowing
against the door, the pressure help seal the door to keep air out as
opposed to pushing it away from the gasket. Mine has been in for about
10+ years now and I like it a lot.

Ok, I've check all the 8 doors in 4 different cities and all are on the
outside with screen outside of everything. Its been like that since 1952 for
the oldest house and the newest one is 1981. I like it on the outside like
you indicated for positive wind pressure. Maintenance wise its better taking
it outside and lay it on the patio rather than inside the house where the
hardwood floor could be damaged or over spray from WD40, oil or grease on
the carpet. I also think breaking into an outside door is more difficult
since you have to go through two doors instead of one.