Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Lead (Pb) price continues to skyrocket

On 2007-10-19, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 20:06:32 -0500, Ignoramus1624

On 2007-10-19, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:18:31 -0700, David Harmon
wrote:
How
much does used carbide go for per pound?

$8.50/lb as of Monday. It was as high as $9.25 last summer.

Ned, do you know how much does HSS go per pound?

I had a few hundred pounds of cutters from an auction lot a couple
years ago and couldn't find any way to get rid of that amount for more
than scrap steel price. But please let us know if you find a market
for small quantities.

My scrapper gives me 1-1.20 per lb. I recently scrapped a large
quantity of taps.It is the same guy whose hinge I welded.

colbalt M42 cutters have a high scrap value because of the colbalt in
the metal. Any alloy steel will bring more money than 10xx series
because of the added alloys. Thats why 300 series brings high scrap
prices. 316 series is the highest since it contains more nickel than
the rest.

John