Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default cutting thin wood

Thu, Oct 18, 2007, 7:50am (B*A*R*R*Y)
doth adviseth:
snip Use two push BLOCKS (not sticks) to run the stock through. Walk
the blocks hand over hand, knowing in advance that the rubber on the
bottom of the block will be grooved by the blade. Concentrate the forces
down at the splitter and slightly toward the fence. You'll need less
force than you'd think. I often stand to the side of the saw,
jointer-style for this operation.
- Enjoy perfect strips
Go to http://www.bburke.com/woodworking/shopmadejigsandtools.html and
scroll down to the "push blocks with sacrificial pads". snip

That's basically my thoughts. Except I might well use one push
block, not two, and one push stick - depending on the mood, chill
factor, time of day, etc.. However, I don't buy push sticks or blocks,
I make my own. Too pricey, and get chewed up waaaay too fast, to keep
buying, and way easy to make anyway. Besides, buy one and it's someone
elses idea of what you need.

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."