Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default cutting thin wood

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:16:38 -0700, k
wrote:

I want to make some house construction projects with my students. We
need to make some 2x4's for the models but they will actually be 1/8"
x 1/4". Does anyone have a safe way to make these?. I'm nervous of
cutting a finger on the table saw.

When cutting small or thin pieces on the table saw, use a much larger
piece against the fence to allow a thin slice to fall off away from
the saw. It also helps to have a zero-clearance throat plate,
featherboard, and your DC running. The larger piece should be squared
up and flat on all sides. If you don't have a table saw, a band saw
will work reasonably well.