Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C Pete C is offline

Default 'Chattering' MCB

On Oct 18, 12:12 pm, chris French
wrote:
I think I've found the fault, after much rummaging behind sockets.

A live wire in one has a small bit of damaged insulation - just like a
cut or maybe getting trapped and damaged at some point - this must have
been in contact with an earth wire (old-ish installation - no sleeving)
or maybe the backbox. There was a little tiny bit of what looked like
heat damage, but only slight, I was expecting a bit more.

Just need to put everything back now, and see if it's ok.

Might be worth fitting an RCD instead of the ELCB.

Though Part P probably forbids doing it yourself without hassle :|

cheers,
Pete.