Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Lithium Ion or NiMH power tool "systems": Which one?

On Oct 17, 9:10 pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
(Dave Martindale) wrote :

writes:
I was originally looking to buy a Dust Buster type
device but all the consumer ones have built in
rechargeable batteries....such that once the battery
dies you have to throw away the whole unit. Very
wasteful!!

Not necessarily. If you live in a decent-size city, there are probably
several places that rebuild battery packs from cells. They weld the
cells with straps in the same shape as the original pack. Just take
apart the DustBuster, take the battery pack to the rebuilder, and pick
up a new pack in a few days. I've replaced the battery pack in my
DustBuster at least once this way.

(This works for NiCd and NiMH cells; I don't know if LiIon batteries
can be rebuilt the same way. NiMH battery packs require more protective
electronics, and the electronics are more closely matched to the cells).

Li-Ion are even worse,they use microprocessor ICs built into the packs to
monitor and control charge.But I suspect the competent battery rebuilders
will be able to rebuild those packs,too,once they become more commonplace.

However, the real problem with a battery-powered DustBuster is that you
hardly ever use it. If you leave it charging forever in its wall
bracket, this kills the batteries prematurely.

WRONG.It's cells are the type expressly designed to be left on trickle
charge when not in use.(at least the original DB,not the VersaPack models.)
I believe it even says so in the DB manual.

BTW,DigiKey sells that type of NiCd cell,designed for continuous trickle
charge.

If you don't keep it
on charge, the batteries are always dead when you want to use it since
it's been months since the last use. I've read about people using a
timer to power the charger for an hour every day, but that seems like
too much work for a DustBuster, which really won't pick up that much
anyway.

So a vacuum that uses the same batteries as your portable drill is more
likely to be useful (assuming you use the drill somewhat often).

Dave

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Sure the manual says its ok to leave it in the charger, thats bs, you
might get 5 yrs of life that way, I have 15 and 18 yr old Makita packs
that work a bit, Heat ruins any cell eventualy as over charging
generates heat