Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Sliding patio door inside or outside?

willshak wrote:
on 10/17/2007 8:48 PM ** Frank ** said the following:
Went to a demo show on installing patio door by a local rep. I'd
noticed the sliding panel was on the inside (of the house) and the
stationary panel on the outside on the demonstration. I don't remember
ever seen the slider on the inside so was the local rep. had it
backwards or is this the new way of doing it?

I had a sliding door that was removed after a sun room was built. I now
have 2 sliding doors in the sun room. All 3 sliders were/are on the inside.
Don't know if there is a rule about which goes on the inside, but I
would rather slide the door into a clear track than into a snow filled
track.

I agree- the doors here are on the outside, and I hate it. Tracks are
always grunged up, and the one that gets used most has a problem with
rollers jumping off the rail. I'm big enough to manhandle it back on,
but a smaller person could not. (Yeah, I know, I keep meaning to buy a
refurb kit and take it apart, but as long as it seals...)

Other thing I hate is, screen is on wrong side. You can't close weather
door without opening the screen door all the way- not a trivial concern
in mosquito season.

I probably won't have this place long enough to replace them, but would
lean heavily toward big-window french doors instead. Downside to those,
of course, is lost floor space inside for swing and standing room.

aem sends....