Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Sliding patio door inside or outside?

on 10/17/2007 9:00 PM willshak said the following:
on 10/17/2007 8:48 PM ** Frank ** said the following:
Went to a demo show on installing patio door by a local rep. I'd
noticed the sliding panel was on the inside (of the house) and the
stationary panel on the outside on the demonstration. I don't
remember ever seen the slider on the inside so was the local rep. had
it backwards or is this the new way of doing it?

I had a sliding door that was removed after a sun room was built. I
now have 2 sliding doors in the sun room. All 3 sliders were/are on
the inside.
Don't know if there is a rule about which goes on the inside, but I
would rather slide the door into a clear track than into a snow filled
track.

Another thing I forgot. When the slider is on the inside, you can stick
a piece of broom handle or a piece of wood as a wedge in the track and
the door can not be pried open. Having the slider on the outside would
not allow that.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY