Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] robson@nf.sympatico.ca is offline

Default Sump Water Discharge Problem

On Oct 17, 5:07 pm, jjmcrae wrote:
We have a *very* active sump pump. In the three years we have lived in
this house, the pump has run 10-20+ times each day, every day, without
exception. Rain or shine, hot or cold, the sump basin fills, and water
is pumped up and discharged through a long black tube into our side
yard. Here are my questions:

1. We suspect an underground spring located on our property could be
causing the water problem. Is there any way to know for sure, other
than digging up our entire acre lot? (And would finding the source be
useful in some way?)

2. Regardless of where the water might be coming from, how do we get
rid of it? We live outside the city limits (thus, no storm drains),
and are part of a small housing development (built in the late 1970s).
Our lot contains what seems to be the lowest point in the development,
so the water discharged from the sump pools up in our yard with
nowhere else to go. We have standing water year-round.

Please offer up any ideas you might have, no matter how crazy they
might seem. We're ready to try just about anything to get rid of the
swamp in our side yard.

Thanks!

~ jjmcrae
Too much water!
Marion, Iowa

Live with it. Get a back up pump. I have a similar situation and the
dig up is not worth the cost. Mine is pumped directly into my septic
feild via the clothes washer outlet. In your situation the water you
pump into your yard could very well be coming back in.