Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump Water Discharge Problem

We have a *very* active sump pump. In the three years we have lived in
this house, the pump has run 10-20+ times each day, every day, without
exception. Rain or shine, hot or cold, the sump basin fills, and water
is pumped up and discharged through a long black tube into our side
yard. Here are my questions:

1. We suspect an underground spring located on our property could be
causing the water problem. Is there any way to know for sure, other
than digging up our entire acre lot? (And would finding the source be
useful in some way?)

2. Regardless of where the water might be coming from, how do we get
rid of it? We live outside the city limits (thus, no storm drains),
and are part of a small housing development (built in the late 1970s).
Our lot contains what seems to be the lowest point in the development,
so the water discharged from the sump pools up in our yard with
nowhere else to go. We have standing water year-round.

Please offer up any ideas you might have, no matter how crazy they
might seem. We're ready to try just about anything to get rid of the
swamp in our side yard.

Thanks!

~ jjmcrae
Too much water!
Marion, Iowa

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jjmcrae" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Are you on municipal water or private well? Had a friend with the same
problem.

He had the water tested, and found out that the water in his sump contained
chlorine!

The water main out in the street was leaking, causing his basement to
collect water.
The water company found the leak, and all was fine

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 2:37 pm, "Bumpy" wrote:
"jjmcrae" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

The water company found the leak, and all was fine- Hide quoted text -

How much is discharged every time, float switch can be adjusted to
lengthen run time, as bumpy said get the water tested to see if its
city water if you have city supply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 3:28 pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 17, 2:37 pm, "Bumpy" wrote:

"jjmcrae" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

city water if you have city supply.- Hide quoted text -

We have our own well. There was no city water access within a mile of
us until this past summer, and the water problem existed long before
they began installing city utilities. Good thought, though.

If we adjust the float we'll still end up with the same amount of
water in the yard, won't we? It will just be more discharged at once,
less often? I don't know how much is discharged at once the way it's
currently set, but we do know that it can be more than 400 gallons in
a 12-hour period on a dry day.
Thanks for your help. Keep the ideas coming!

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

In the area where I live, sump pumps are discharged to the street ditch as
mine is. Talking to the city people, when they install storm drains some
time in the future, the sump discharge will be connected to the storm drain
for removal.

You don't have storm drains, but where does the water from the street go,
most areas without storm drains use some form of ditches to remove the
water, possibly you could route your discharge pipe to whatever your
community uses to remove the water from the street. Better than creating
your own mosquito breeding swamp.

"jjmcrae" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Oct 17, 3:28 pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 17, 2:37 pm, "Bumpy" wrote:

"jjmcrae" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 5:53?pm, "EXT" wrote:
In the area where I live, sump pumps are discharged to the street ditch as
mine is. Talking to the city people, when they install storm drains some
time in the future, the sump discharge will be connected to the storm drain
for removal.

You don't have storm drains, but where does the water from the street go,
most areas without storm drains use some form of ditches to remove the
water, possibly you could route your discharge pipe to whatever your
community uses to remove the water from the street. Better than creating
your own mosquito breeding swamp.

"jjmcrae" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 17, 3:28 pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 17, 2:37 pm, "Bumpy" wrote:

"jjmcrae" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Thanks for your help. Keep the ideas coming!- Hide quoted text -

my driveway is the low spot of the area, home a little below street
level.

so I installed a grate collector fed the water indoors to a sump and
pump it up to a 4 inch exterior line thats flows by gravity to the
street.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 4:53 pm, "EXT" wrote:
In the area where I live, sump pumps are discharged to the street ditch as
mine is. Talking to the city people, when they install storm drains some
time in the future, the sump discharge will be connected to the storm drain
for removal.

You don't have storm drains, but where does the water from the street go,
most areas without storm drains use some form of ditches to remove the
water, possibly you could route your discharge pipe to whatever your
community uses to remove the water from the street. Better than creating
your own mosquito breeding swamp.

"jjmcrae" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 17, 3:28 pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 17, 2:37 pm, "Bumpy" wrote:

"jjmcrae" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Startup is the hardest on a pump, and electric surge, longer cycles
give longer life, Is it possible the anti drainback valve is bad
adding to the issue. Knowing a gpm per day output would be good, is it
draining far enough away to not re-enter your spring.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 5:07 pm, jjmcrae wrote:
[...]

Live with it. Get a back up pump. I have a similar situation and the
dig up is not worth the cost. Mine is pumped directly into my septic
feild via the clothes washer outlet. In your situation the water you
pump into your yard could very well be coming back in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 4:53 pm, "EXT" wrote:
In the area where I live, sump pumps are discharged to the street ditch as
mine is. Talking to the city people, when they install storm drains some
time in the future, the sump discharge will be connected to the storm drain
for removal.

You don't have storm drains, but where does the water from the street go,
most areas without storm drains use some form of ditches to remove the
water, possibly you could route your discharge pipe to whatever your
community uses to remove the water from the street. Better than creating
your own mosquito breeding swamp.

"jjmcrae" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Oct 17, 3:28 pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 17, 2:37 pm, "Bumpy" wrote:

"jjmcrae" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

The ditch backs up into our yard as well. When we get a heavy rain,
our front yard floods as well as our side yard. I called the county
engineer about it, He said he'd come take a look and call me back, but
I'm not holding my breath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 6:30 pm, wrote:
[...]

pump into your yard could very well be coming back in.- Hide quoted text -

Putting the sump pump water into the septic system has to be the
dumbest place to send the water that I've ever heard of to date.