Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Plumbing Question

On Oct 17, 6:17 am, "Bill" wrote:
Inside the tank is a hollow tube. If the water is reaching the top of this
tube each time the tank fills up, the water level is set too high.

Adjust so water stops flowing to just below the top of this tube.

City water pressure can change. You may get a blip of high pressure and this
makes it run a little. But it all flows out the top of the tube. By
adjusting so the water stops short of the top of the tube, when you get a
blip in water pressure, the tank will fill a little higher and then stop.

Also clean the flapper and the round part it sits on with a paper towel.
Sometime a little piece of dirt can keep it up a bit.

Flush a few times and watch it in action. See what it is doing. Chains too
long can get in the way (reduce length of chain), and flapper/hinges may not
be right kind for your tank. Maybe a differently designed flapper will work
better for your tank. There are different kinds of flappers at the hardware
store. Some work better than others.

"Dottie" wrote in message
The commode in my bathroom has started running again ... it will just
run a short time, like some of the water has leaked out and it is
topping off. I just put a new flapper in there about a month or so
back ... what else would cause this problem? At the price of water
here I don't want to waste any. Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Frank wasn't meant to be smart just pointing out that like anything if
done right it should work, Also bang on about the dye alot of people
keep the chain to tight also Cheers