Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Plumbing Question

The commode in my bathroom has started running again ... it will just
run a short time, like some of the water has leaked out and it is
topping off. I just put a new flapper in there about a month or so
back ... what else would cause this problem? At the price of water
here I don't want to waste any. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

www.toiletology.com

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Oct 16, 5:58 pm, Dottie wrote:
The commode in my bathroom has started running again ... it will just
run a short time, like some of the water has leaked out and it is
topping off. I just put a new flapper in there about a month or so
back ... what else would cause this problem? At the price of water
here I don't want to waste any. Thanks.

The flapper valve may be trying to deal with a corroded out of round
seat, valve seat, that is. The fix would be to replace with a more
complete assembly which could include most of the hardware in the
tank. Drain it, inspect carefully, then look for an assembly
compatible with your unit. Good luck.

Joe

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message
ups.com...
The commode in my bathroom has started running again ... it will just
run a short time, like some of the water has leaked out and it is
topping off. I just put a new flapper in there about a month or so
back ... what else would cause this problem? At the price of water
here I don't want to waste any. Thanks.

I hope someone has better advice for you than I do!
A couple times I had to replace the flappy twice before it worked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dottie" wrote in message
ups.com...
The commode in my bathroom has started running again ... it will just
run a short time, like some of the water has leaked out and it is
topping off. I just put a new flapper in there about a month or so
back ... what else would cause this problem? At the price of water
here I don't want to waste any. Thanks.

Make sure you don't have an hairline crack somewhere. You could test out the
tank with dye and see where the leak goes. Usually its the flapper. On one
unit, I had to replace the flapper 4 times before I found a good one. Next
could be the flapper seat. The seats today are plastic, years ago you could
get a stainless steel seat.

And then you could get a Toto and forget the whole thing. I only buy Totos
now.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

On Oct 16, 7:34 pm, "** Frank **" wrote:
"Dottie" wrote in message

ups.com...

The commode in my bathroom has started running again ... it will just
run a short time, like some of the water has leaked out and it is
topping off. I just put a new flapper in there about a month or so
back ... what else would cause this problem? At the price of water
here I don't want to waste any. Thanks.

Make sure you don't have an hairline crack somewhere. You could test out the
tank with dye and see where the leak goes. Usually its the flapper. On one
unit, I had to replace the flapper 4 times before I found a good one. Next
could be the flapper seat. The seats today are plastic, years ago you could
get a stainless steel seat.

And then you could get a Toto and forget the whole thing. I only buy Totos
now.

Before you put the flapper in put in warm water for 10 mins then
lightly hold it down to the seat of the unit this usaually helps it to
seat. Don't know about Toto as no one here seems to be able to buy
them, haven't ever had to buy more than 1 flapper but then Ive only
installed 2or3 hundred in 37 yrs

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jim" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 16, 7:34 pm, "** Frank **" wrote:
"Dottie" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I guess I'm a newbie, had only installed a little more than a dozen. Thanks
for the tip.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't know about Toto as no one here seems to be able to buy
them, haven't ever had to buy more than 1 flapper but then Ive only
installed 2or3 hundred in 37 yrs

Here is one online
http://www.performancetoilets.com/in...UYago dtkXDew

The low end Toto is not that expensive - about $250 and well worth it. I'm
in the Bay Area and found a few local places that stock Toto.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Inside the tank is a hollow tube. If the water is reaching the top of this
tube each time the tank fills up, the water level is set too high.

Adjust so water stops flowing to just below the top of this tube.

City water pressure can change. You may get a blip of high pressure and this
makes it run a little. But it all flows out the top of the tube. By
adjusting so the water stops short of the top of the tube, when you get a
blip in water pressure, the tank will fill a little higher and then stop.

Also clean the flapper and the round part it sits on with a paper towel.
Sometime a little piece of dirt can keep it up a bit.

Flush a few times and watch it in action. See what it is doing. Chains too
long can get in the way (reduce length of chain), and flapper/hinges may not
be right kind for your tank. Maybe a differently designed flapper will work
better for your tank. There are different kinds of flappers at the hardware
store. Some work better than others.

"Dottie" wrote in message
The commode in my bathroom has started running again ... it will just
run a short time, like some of the water has leaked out and it is
topping off. I just put a new flapper in there about a month or so
back ... what else would cause this problem? At the price of water
here I don't want to waste any. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to jim :
On Oct 16, 7:34 pm, "** Frank **" wrote:
"Dottie" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Make that warm vinegar. If there's any mineral deposits, they'll come off.
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

"Dottie" wrote in message
The commode in my bathroom has started running again ... it will just
run a short time, like some of the water has leaked out and it is
topping off. I just put a new flapper in there about a month or so
back ... what else would cause this problem? At the price of water
here I don't want to waste any. Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Frank wasn't meant to be smart just pointing out that like anything if
done right it should work, Also bang on about the dye alot of people
keep the chain to tight also Cheers

plumbing question [email protected] Home Repair 14 September 15th 07 04:16 AM
Plumbing question dean Home Repair 8 June 8th 07 04:24 AM
Concrete question (regarding previous plumbing question) [email protected] Home Repair 2 October 17th 06 08:07 PM
Plumbing question.... [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 4th 06 02:41 PM
Plumbing question MP UK diy 1 May 17th 05 09:52 PM