Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick Lew Hartswick is offline

Default Cleanup after tapping AL

Bill Schwab wrote:

Grant,

I just finished tapping holes in my latest "production run" of five
plates (stop laughingg). What is the most effective way to clear
the slurry of oil (which I have been using as a cutting fluid[*]) and
Aluminum chips that is dripping from the holes?

[*] haven't broken any taps in a long time, and the threads seem to
work.

Spray bottle of kerosene, a scrub brush followed by compressed air
(outside,
with eye & ear protection). That'll get you started.

What I have done so far is run a machine screw through the hole using an
electric driver, wipe off the slurry, and reverse the screw, then follow
with household cleaner. Your idea sounds worth a shot. How does the
scrub brush enter into it? The holes are 8-32.

Bill

Blow them out first. Makes the rest a lot easier.
...lew...