Posted to alt.home.repair
Mamba Mamba is offline

Default Improving fireplace draft

"Bill" wrote in message
Make sure the chimney is not obstructed. Also that the air vent to the
outside is not obstructed.

Sometimes a screen spark guard on the top of a chimney will clog. It may
look fine from below, but get up on roof and you will see that it is
clogged so little or no smoke can get out the chimney. I removed my spark
guard because it was always clogging.

Just be aware that this can be an insurance or safety concern. I expect
your insurance company would be looking closely at your chimney if you
claimed damage from a roof fire or similar accident. Best to remove the
screen and clean it, or replace it.

In our dry, remote area, one spark out the chimney could burn hundreds of
acres of pine forest, including homes downwind of us . Fortunately, summers
are hot enough that fires are not required until cool rainy weather hits in
Autumn.