Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cleaning electric water heater scale

On Oct 17, 9:40?am, "J" wrote:
I have an electric water heater that is just over 5 yrs old. I found the
scale had built up high enough to bury the lower heating element. (Yes, I
now know about cleaning it out on a regular basis.) This caused the heating
element to burn out. So I spent some hours cleaning as much of the scale
out via the hole for the heating element, and put in a new element. It's
heating water fine but I know it's just a matter of time before I burn the
element out again. This is a Kenmore Power Miser 9 that has a 9yr tank and
parts warranty, so I expect the hardware has some life left in it if I could
only clean all the scale out. Any ideas on how I can clean it out?

Thanks!

get a water softener and end the scale buildup but the costs for
softener will exceed the savings on the tank, but reportedly save you
money on detergents etc