Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cleaning electric water heater scale

I have an electric water heater that is just over 5 yrs old. I found the
scale had built up high enough to bury the lower heating element. (Yes, I
now know about cleaning it out on a regular basis.) This caused the heating
element to burn out. So I spent some hours cleaning as much of the scale
out via the hole for the heating element, and put in a new element. It's
heating water fine but I know it's just a matter of time before I burn the
element out again. This is a Kenmore Power Miser 9 that has a 9yr tank and
parts warranty, so I expect the hardware has some life left in it if I could
only clean all the scale out. Any ideas on how I can clean it out?

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 9:40?am, "J" wrote:
I have an electric water heater that is just over 5 yrs old. I found the
scale had built up high enough to bury the lower heating element. (Yes, I
now know about cleaning it out on a regular basis.) This caused the heating
element to burn out. So I spent some hours cleaning as much of the scale
out via the hole for the heating element, and put in a new element. It's
heating water fine but I know it's just a matter of time before I burn the
element out again. This is a Kenmore Power Miser 9 that has a 9yr tank and
parts warranty, so I expect the hardware has some life left in it if I could
only clean all the scale out. Any ideas on how I can clean it out?

Thanks!

you could try acid but the trouble is the cost of the acid to do the
job properly will be high and the scale might be clogging a leak, so
get it all spiffey cleaned out just to have a leak

whats a new DIY tank cost? 350 bucks divided by say 10 years 35 bucks
a year is pretty cheap less than one candy bar a week for the year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 9:40?am, "J" wrote:
I have an electric water heater that is just over 5 yrs old. I found the
scale had built up high enough to bury the lower heating element. (Yes, I
now know about cleaning it out on a regular basis.) This caused the heating
element to burn out. So I spent some hours cleaning as much of the scale
out via the hole for the heating element, and put in a new element. It's
heating water fine but I know it's just a matter of time before I burn the
element out again. This is a Kenmore Power Miser 9 that has a 9yr tank and
parts warranty, so I expect the hardware has some life left in it if I could
only clean all the scale out. Any ideas on how I can clean it out?

Thanks!

get a water softener and end the scale buildup but the costs for
softener will exceed the savings on the tank, but reportedly save you
money on detergents etc

Posted to alt.home.repair

"J" wrote in message
I have an electric water heater that is just over 5 yrs old. I found the
scale had built up high enough to bury the lower heating element. (Yes, I
now know about cleaning it out on a regular basis.) This caused the
heating element to burn out. So I spent some hours cleaning as much of the
scale out via the hole for the heating element, and put in a new element.
It's heating water fine but I know it's just a matter of time before I burn
the element out again. This is a Kenmore Power Miser 9 that has a 9yr tank
and parts warranty, so I expect the hardware has some life left in it if I
could only clean all the scale out. Any ideas on how I can clean it out?

Thanks!

I dragged mine outside last spring and removed the lower tap as well as both
elements. I used a garden hose and a pressure washer tip in various holes
until things seemed to be clean inside. By tipping the heater with the tap
edge down I was able to ensure I got the scale out. Mine were loose
particles, not sure if you mean that in your case they are adhered to the
sides of the cavity?

You could also drain or partially drain the tank periodically to remove some
of the scale if it has accumulated in the bottom. My problem with this was
that small bits of scale would sometimes get into the tap valve, so when I
turned off the drain tap it sometimes leaked.

When we had a softener, we added small amounts of acid to our tank monthly
to help dissolve scale. If you're not going to flush it regularly, this is
probably your best bet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

By 'lower tap' do you mean 'drain valve'?

I like the idea of shooting pressured water in there to possibly break the
scale up. I'm wondering if the internal lining is in any way fragile where
I could do damage buy sending in high pressured water? I understand the
tank is steel but has a glass liner to keep rust out of the water. I guess
I don't want to damage this liner.

"Mamba" wrote in message
"J" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mamba" wrote in message

"J" wrote in message
[...]

is probably your best bet.- Hide quoted text -

if you mess with the tank be prepared to instantly replace it. if its
located where a leak can do damage just replace it.