Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cleaning electric water heater scale

On Oct 17, 9:40?am, "J" wrote:
I have an electric water heater that is just over 5 yrs old. I found the
scale had built up high enough to bury the lower heating element. (Yes, I
now know about cleaning it out on a regular basis.) This caused the heating
element to burn out. So I spent some hours cleaning as much of the scale
out via the hole for the heating element, and put in a new element. It's
heating water fine but I know it's just a matter of time before I burn the
element out again. This is a Kenmore Power Miser 9 that has a 9yr tank and
parts warranty, so I expect the hardware has some life left in it if I could
only clean all the scale out. Any ideas on how I can clean it out?

Thanks!

you could try acid but the trouble is the cost of the acid to do the
job properly will be high and the scale might be clogging a leak, so
get it all spiffey cleaned out just to have a leak

whats a new DIY tank cost? 350 bucks divided by say 10 years 35 bucks
a year is pretty cheap less than one candy bar a week for the year.