Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Two stroke motor without ENGINE OIL???

Harry K wrote:
On Oct 17, 7:24 am, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:
They don't have spark plugs before they are running either.

"Harry K" wrote in message

ups.com...

I see that you have the explanation how they work. I apologize for
the 'rtfm' comment. Thinking back I was in the same position when
someone told me that diesel engines don't have spark plugs...well, not
after they are running at least.
Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Oh? Never saw the older ones? International TD series had a full
gas system that they started on, carb, plugs, everything, using the
same engine. Cat used a gas pony engine. I spent enough hours
cranking them. Don't know how far they went before the glow plug
system came into use.

IH also used pony engines on at least some. We had a loaner for a while
one year while a major repair on the 560 was underway I remember that
was a real pita. The complication and starting difficulty in winter
(and the odor) were main reasons Dad never switched over from LP to
diesel until the 4000-series Deeres came out in the early/mid 60s. They
initially were glow plug. The oldest I have on the place now is the '85
(I think I recall that, at least it's close) 4440 and it is direct
start. Recollecting, I'd guess the transition to glow plugs began in
the early 60s, direct start pretty widespread in the late 70s/early 80s
for farm tractors, anyway. Would presume that to be roughly the same
for others.

The 955 is the Yanmar 3-cyl and it still uses glow plugs. The Cat 3208
in the '88 Ford chassis truck was an optional direct start.