Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two stroke motor without ENGINE OIL???

I recently bought a Echo PB-755 Backpack Blower to blow leaves in my
yard.

I am very puzzled by it. It is a 2 stroke engine. Takes 50:1 oil.

There is no separate tank/port/opening for engine oil.

The manual has not a single word mention of engine oil (like 10w30 or
whatever).

So, all indications are that this engine needs no oil.

I can hardly believe this as all gas engines I have seen so far needed
engine oil.

Is my conclusion that the engine needs no oil, correct?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 7:30 am, Ignoramus1841
wrote:
I recently bought a Echo PB-755 Backpack Blower to blow leaves in my
yard.

I am very puzzled by it. It is a 2 stroke engine. Takes 50:1 oil.

There is no separate tank/port/opening for engine oil.

The manual has not a single word mention of engine oil (like 10w30 or
whatever).

So, all indications are that this engine needs no oil.

I can hardly believe this as all gas engines I have seen so far needed
engine oil.

Is my conclusion that the engine needs no oil, correct?

RTFM. Yes, it needs oil. The oil is added to the gas.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I recently bought a Echo PB-755 Backpack Blower to blow leaves in my
yard.

I am very puzzled by it. It is a 2 stroke engine. Takes 50:1 oil.

There is no separate tank/port/opening for engine oil.

The manual has not a single word mention of engine oil (like 10w30 or
whatever).

So, all indications are that this engine needs no oil.

I can hardly believe this as all gas engines I have seen so far needed
engine oil.

Is my conclusion that the engine needs no oil, correct?

RTFM. Yes, it needs oil. The oil is added to the gas.

I actually did say that oil is added to gas. I did not miss it. I am
surprised that there is no separate oil system, to oil all the moving
parts. How are they lubricated?

Posted to alt.home.repair

you're kidding right? Are you thirteen? Have you never owned a 2 stroke
engine before? The oil in the gas passes through the crankcase and does the
lubricating before it goes into the combustion chamber.

"Ignoramus1841" wrote in message

I actually did say that oil is added to gas. I did not miss it. I am
surprised that there is no separate oil system, to oil all the moving
parts. How are they lubricated?

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/16/2007 10:30 AM Ignoramus1841 said the following:
I recently bought a Echo PB-755 Backpack Blower to blow leaves in my
yard.

I am very puzzled by it. It is a 2 stroke engine. Takes 50:1 oil.

There is no separate tank/port/opening for engine oil.

The manual has not a single word mention of engine oil (like 10w30 or
whatever).

So, all indications are that this engine needs no oil.

I can hardly believe this as all gas engines I have seen so far needed
engine oil.

Is my conclusion that the engine needs no oil, correct?

No separate oil other than the oil mix in the gas.
The oil-gas mix lubricates all internal parts.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke2.htm

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus1841" wrote in message
I recently bought a Echo PB-755 Backpack Blower to blow leaves in my
yard.

I am very puzzled by it. It is a 2 stroke engine. Takes 50:1 oil.

There is no separate tank/port/opening for engine oil.

The manual has not a single word mention of engine oil (like 10w30 or
whatever).

So, all indications are that this engine needs no oil.

I can hardly believe this as all gas engines I have seen so far needed
engine oil.

Is my conclusion that the engine needs no oil, correct?

Correct. Do a Google search on 2 stroke engines and see how they operate.
The oil mixed with the gas does the lubrication. There was a time (1950's?)
that Saab made cars with 2 strokes engines too.

The advantage of 2 stroke is cheap to make, small, can be operated when not
level.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I recently bought a Echo PB-755 Backpack Blower to blow leaves in my
yard.

I am very puzzled by it. It is a 2 stroke engine. Takes 50:1 oil.

There is no separate tank/port/opening for engine oil.

The manual has not a single word mention of engine oil (like 10w30 or
whatever).

So, all indications are that this engine needs no oil.

I can hardly believe this as all gas engines I have seen so far needed
engine oil.

Is my conclusion that the engine needs no oil, correct?

RTFM. Yes, it needs oil. The oil is added to the gas.

I actually did say that oil is added to gas. I did not miss it. I am
surprised that there is no separate oil system, to oil all the moving
parts. How are they lubricated?

Hi,
Leanr how 2 stroke motors work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-10-16, willshak wrote:

No separate oil other than the oil mix in the gas.
The oil-gas mix lubricates all internal parts.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke2.htm

Thanks a lot, guys. This time, I lived up to my screen name! Now I
feel better about running this engine. My previous experience was with
4 stroke engines and diesels (Onan DJE repair and Cummins L423D
repair).

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus1841" wrote in message
I recently bought a Echo PB-755 Backpack Blower to blow leaves in my
yard.

I am very puzzled by it. It is a 2 stroke engine. Takes 50:1 oil.

There is no separate tank/port/opening for engine oil.

The manual has not a single word mention of engine oil (like 10w30 or
whatever).

So, all indications are that this engine needs no oil.

I can hardly believe this as all gas engines I have seen so far needed
engine oil.

Is my conclusion that the engine needs no oil, correct?

Iggy, I think you could rebuild the Space Shuttle singlehanded, and am
surprised you don't know this one.

In a four stroke, you have valves. The combustion chamber and crankcase
chamber are two separate chambers isolated from each other. The only time
they cross over is bad rings, bad valve guides, hole in the piston,
excessive wear, bad head gasket, etc. In a two stroke, the gas and oil go
on both sides of the piston, and the oil in the gas lubricates the
crankcase. Instead of valves, a two stroke has ports where the gas/oil mix
moves from one side of the piston to the other. It's exquisitely simple.
Google it up and get some diagrams.

Someone like you that has such a knowledge of how things work will get a
real kick when you see simple diagrams of how this actually works.

Steve

PS: the router table is doing fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Plus it gives twice as much power for a given size than a four stroke. The
power cycle comes every 2 strokes instead of every 4.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
newsp4Ri.1886$pl2.1423@trndny09...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-10-16, SteveB wrote:

[...]

Steve, yes, thanks, I have learned something very basic today!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-10-16, willshak wrote:

No separate oil other than the oil mix in the gas.
The oil-gas mix lubricates all internal parts.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke2.htm

Thanks a lot, guys. This time, I lived up to my screen name! Now I
feel better about running this engine. My previous experience was with
4 stroke engines and diesels (Onan DJE repair and Cummins L423D
repair).

Ignorant is just never having something explained to you. Stupid is having
it explained to you, and not listening to the explanation. That's how we
learn. We're born not knowing everything. Then, we're taught about this
and that. Being stupid is choosing not to heed instruction.

Now you know.

Now that you've seen how it works, it IS exquisitely simple, isn't it?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"jmagerl" wrote in message
. net...
Plus it gives twice as much power for a given size than a four stroke. The
power cycle comes every 2 strokes instead of every 4.

The first two cycle I saw was a Bultaco Sherpa. A 200cc motorcycle. A
local Harley club had a field meet at a dry lake. The Sherpa drew lots and
lots of attention. Then, the boys on the Sportsters were challenging it to
a drag race. With the incredible acceleration, the Sherpa would hole shot
the Sportsters so bad, the Harley riders were embarrassed. Zero to sixty in
something like four seconds. If they went far enough, the Sportsters would
occasionally catch the Sherpa.

It turned a LOT of heads that day.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to jmagerl :
Plus it gives twice as much power for a given size than a four stroke. The
power cycle comes every 2 strokes instead of every 4.

Yes, two stroke gives out more power pound-for-pound, and
usually CC-for-CC, but it's generally not exactly double for the
same displacement. A lot depends on how it's intended to be used,
and what it's been optimized for.

2-stroke, for example, usually emits a lot more unburned gas mixture
than a 4 stroke does, given that each stroke does mixed duty - intake
and exhaust phases overlap for example (both the gozinta and gozouta
are open at the same time).

My small engines instructor custom tuned and raced type 3 two-stroke
motorcycles and snowmobiles. Those had _ridiculous_ amounts of power.

[Unlike type 1 and 2 two stroke which do their intake/exhaust control
via ports in the cylinder sleeve, type 3 does it with a rotating disk
that you can tweak. Very high RPM/power ratings compared to other
equivalent size two stroke. Quite rare these days.]
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-10-16, willshak wrote:

No separate oil other than the oil mix in the gas.
The oil-gas mix lubricates all internal parts.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/two-stroke2.htm

Thanks a lot, guys. This time, I lived up to my screen name! Now I
feel better about running this engine. My previous experience was with
4 stroke engines and diesels (Onan DJE repair and Cummins L423D
repair).

Ignorant is just never having something explained to you. Stupid is having
it explained to you, and not listening to the explanation. That's how we
learn. We're born not knowing everything. Then, we're taught about this
and that. Being stupid is choosing not to heed instruction.

Well said. Sometimes I go even beyond ignorant and do not listen
well. Every time I do so, I get screwed in some way or another.

Now you know.

Now that you've seen how it works, it IS exquisitely simple, isn't it?

Yes, it is great. This blower is fantastic and cannot be compared to
"consumer" models. (such as the one I had)

Posted to alt.home.repair

SteveB wrote:

snipped

Ignorant is just never having something explained to you. Stupid is having
it explained to you, and not listening to the explanation. That's how we
learn.

Steve, I couldn't have said it better!

I have a very low tolerance for stupidity, but in an increasingly
complex world there are no more "Renaissance Men" and we're all ignorant
of far more things than we could possibly be knowledgable about. So, I
don't make fun of anybody's initial ignorance of any subjects they
shouldn't have learned in public school.

I have no doubt that if iggy had chosen to study the engine more and
maybe even disassembled it to see where the internal passages were he
would have easily figured out why there was no separate lubrication system.

We're born not knowing everything. Then, we're taught about this
and that. Being stupid is choosing not to heed instruction.

And also, as a friend of mine is fond of telling me. People are not born
"good", they are born bad and have to be taught and trained to be good."

Just my .02,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to alt.home.repair

So, this is your first weedeater?

What about a chain saw? Ever run one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I recently bought a Echo PB-755 Backpack Blower to blow leaves in my
yard.

I am very puzzled by it. It is a 2 stroke engine. Takes 50:1 oil.

There is no separate tank/port/opening for engine oil.

The manual has not a single word mention of engine oil (like 10w30 or
whatever).

So, all indications are that this engine needs no oil.

I can hardly believe this as all gas engines I have seen so far needed
engine oil.

Is my conclusion that the engine needs no oil, correct?

RTFM. Yes, it needs oil. The oil is added to the gas.

I actually did say that oil is added to gas. I did not miss it. I am
surprised that there is no separate oil system, to oil all the moving
parts. How are they lubricated?

i- Hide quoted text -

I see that you have the explanation how they work. I apologize for
the 'rtfm' comment. Thinking back I was in the same position when
someone told me that diesel engines don't have spark plugs...well, not
after they are running at least.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ignoramus1841" wrote

Now that you've seen how it works, it IS exquisitely simple, isn't it?

Yes, it is great. This blower is fantastic and cannot be compared to
"consumer" models. (such as the one I had)

The first explanation I had of it had an animated moving parts diagram.
Since the fuel/air mixture is forced into the combustion chamber by the
downward travel of the piston, it achieves almost a supercharger effect,
forcing the air/gas mix rather than working on suction as a four stroke
does.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 16, 9:30 am, Ignoramus1841
wrote:
I recently bought a Echo PB-755 Backpack Blower to blow leaves in my
yard.

I am very puzzled by it. It is a 2 stroke engine. Takes 50:1 oil.

There is no separate tank/port/opening for engine oil.

The manual has not a single word mention of engine oil (like 10w30 or
whatever).

So, all indications are that this engine needs no oil.

I can hardly believe this as all gas engines I have seen so far needed
engine oil.

Is my conclusion that the engine needs no oil, correct?

Uh, thats because it's a 2 stroke. Properly cared for they actually
last longer than a 4 stroke.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker LT wrote:

....[top posting repaired]...

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
I see that you have the explanation how they work. I apologize for
the 'rtfm' comment. Thinking back I was in the same position when
someone told me that diesel engines don't have spark plugs...well, not
after they are running at least.

Harry K

They don't have spark plugs before they are running either.

He's referring to glow plugs for starting, obviously...

Posted to alt.home.repair

{bottom posting repaired by deleting}

REAL diesel engines have no glow plugs. Those are on the toy engines.

"dpb" wrote in message ...

He's referring to glow plugs for starting, obviously...

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker LT wrote:

REAL diesel engines have no glow plugs. Those are on the toy engines.

Not necessarily...depending on age and design there are a lot of very
large diesel engines still out there w/ glow plugs.

What's your definition of "real" vs "toy"?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 7:24 am, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:
They don't have spark plugs before they are running either.

"Harry K" wrote in message

ups.com...

I see that you have the explanation how they work. I apologize for
the 'rtfm' comment. Thinking back I was in the same position when
someone told me that diesel engines don't have spark plugs...well, not
after they are running at least.

Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Oh? Never saw the older ones? International TD series had a full
gas system that they started on, carb, plugs, everything, using the
same engine. Cat used a gas pony engine. I spent enough hours
cranking them. Don't know how far they went before the glow plug
system came into use.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 7:37 am, dpb wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:

...[top posting repaired]...

"Harry K" wrote in message
oups.com...
I see that you have the explanation how they work. I apologize for
the 'rtfm' comment. Thinking back I was in the same position when
someone told me that diesel engines don't have spark plugs...well, not
after they are running at least.

Harry K

They don't have spark plugs before they are running either.

He's referring to glow plugs for starting, obviously...

--

Nope. The old ones (TD6 and a T20 McCormic Deering in my case)
started on gas (in the same cylinders).

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

wrote:
They don't have spark plugs before they are running either.

"Harry K" wrote in message

ups.com...

I see that you have the explanation how they work. I apologize for
the 'rtfm' comment. Thinking back I was in the same position when
someone told me that diesel engines don't have spark plugs...well, not
after they are running at least.
Harry K- Hide quoted text -

Oh? Never saw the older ones? International TD series had a full
gas system that they started on, carb, plugs, everything, using the
same engine. Cat used a gas pony engine. I spent enough hours
cranking them. Don't know how far they went before the glow plug
system came into use.

IH also used pony engines on at least some. We had a loaner for a while
one year while a major repair on the 560 was underway I remember that
was a real pita. The complication and starting difficulty in winter
(and the odor) were main reasons Dad never switched over from LP to
diesel until the 4000-series Deeres came out in the early/mid 60s. They
initially were glow plug. The oldest I have on the place now is the '85
(I think I recall that, at least it's close) 4440 and it is direct
start. Recollecting, I'd guess the transition to glow plugs began in
the early 60s, direct start pretty widespread in the late 70s/early 80s
for farm tractors, anyway. Would presume that to be roughly the same
for others.

The 955 is the Yanmar 3-cyl and it still uses glow plugs. The Cat 3208
in the '88 Ford chassis truck was an optional direct start.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry K wrote:

I see that you have the explanation how they work. I apologize for
the 'rtfm' comment. Thinking back I was in the same position when
someone told me that diesel engines don't have spark plugs...well, not
after they are running at least.

Harry K

Diesels never have spark plugs. Some designs use glow plugs which are
actually just a little heating element to preheat the combustion chamber
.. Some designs have a heating element in a box in the intake which warms
the air before starting.

Its the heat of compression that fires a diesel. If the weather is warm
or you had a sufficiently beefy starter you could start one without glow
plugs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/17/2007 11:31 AM Steve Barker LT said the following:
{bottom posting repaired by deleting}

REAL diesel engines have no glow plugs. Those are on the toy engines.

They are on many of the big engines too, especially the big rigs. They
are used in cold weather to preheat the cylinders (not to provide an
ignition source).

"dpb" wrote in message ...

He's referring to glow plugs for starting, obviously...

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Harry K wrote:
On Oct 17, 7:37 am, dpb wrote:
Steve Barker LT wrote:

...[top posting repaired]...

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
I see that you have the explanation how they work. I apologize for
the 'rtfm' comment. Thinking back I was in the same position when
someone told me that diesel engines don't have spark plugs...well, not
after they are running at least.
Harry K
They don't have spark plugs before they are running either.

He's referring to glow plugs for starting, obviously...

--

Nope. The old ones (TD6 and a T20 McCormic Deering in my case)
started on gas (in the same cylinders).

Well, after those went out, glow plugs came in...and, as somebody else
already noted, there were also the pony engine starting systems as well.

That there were alternatives before them (glow plugs) doesn't negate the
previous comment...

Posted to alt.home.repair

on 10/17/2007 3:30 PM SteveB said the following:
"dpb" wrote in message ...

Steve Barker LT wrote:

...[top posting repaired]...

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...

I see that you have the explanation how they work. I apologize for
the 'rtfm' comment. Thinking back I was in the same position when
someone told me that diesel engines don't have spark plugs...well, not
after they are running at least.

Harry K

They don't have spark plugs before they are running either.

He's referring to glow plugs for starting, obviously...

--

But, technically, he's right. And since we must accept everything EXACTLY
as it is written, with no allowance for common sense, colloquialisms, or

I just wish we could get back to a time when everything didn't have to be so
damn exact. And netnannyism wasn't so many people's hobby.

Steve

Like clueless people making typos for 4" when it was obvious that 4' was
meant, and Fahrenheit for Celsius, when one responder was using one and
another was using the other?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Steve Barker LT wrote:

...[top posting repaired]...

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
I see that you have the explanation how they work. I apologize for
the 'rtfm' comment. Thinking back I was in the same position when
someone told me that diesel engines don't have spark plugs...well, not
after they are running at least.

Harry K

They don't have spark plugs before they are running either.

He's referring to glow plugs for starting, obviously...

--

But, technically, he's right. And since we must accept everything EXACTLY
as it is written, with no allowance for common sense, colloquialisms, or
brain farts, the correction is valid.

I just wish we could get back to a time when everything didn't have to be so
damn exact. And netnannyism wasn't so many people's hobby.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Steve Barker LT wrote:

...[top posting repaired]...

"Harry K" wrote in message
ups.com...
I see that you have the explanation how they work. I apologize for
the 'rtfm' comment. Thinking back I was in the same position when
someone told me that diesel engines don't have spark plugs...well, not
after they are running at least.

Harry K

They don't have spark plugs before they are running either.

He's referring to glow plugs for starting, obviously...

How about 2 stroke engines with glow plugs for running also? Yes, they have
them and no, they are not diesel either. They use alcohol based fuel. I bet
some of you guys used them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 8:31 am, "Steve Barker LT"
wrote:
{bottom posting repaired by deleting}

REAL diesel engines have no glow plugs. Those are on the toy engines.

"dpb" wrote in ...

He's referring to glow plugs for starting, obviously...

True, technology tends to advance.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

link me to any reference to a large diesel engine with glow plugs.

as for the toys:

5.7 Olds conversion
6.2 chevy truck monstrosity
7.3 navistar
6.0 navistar
duramax diesel chevy uses. (not sure of the size)
And any other diesel engine you can come up with that has glow plugs.

"dpb" wrote in message ...
Not necessarily...depending on age and design there are a lot of very
large diesel engines still out there w/ glow plugs.

What's your definition of "real" vs "toy"?

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Steve Barker LT wrote:

And any other diesel engine you can come up with that has glow plugs.

Well, guess that's one definition. Not a very useful, one, but one
nonetheless...

Of current production, don't know directly other than the JD 5-cylinder
used in their utility tractors (up to roughly 50 hp I'm guessing,
maybe?) That they have been replaced w/ direct start w/ usually ether
injection combined w/ block heaters for cold weather doesn't mean they
weren't a significant alternative until fairly recently (10-15 years or
so)...

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sorry, "big rig engines" (as you call them) don't have cylinder heaters,
glow plugs, or any thing like that. What they do use on occasion is either
assist on the intake.

Direct injection diesels don't as a rule have a problem starting cold.

"willshak" wrote in message
They are on many of the big engines too, especially the big rigs. They are
used in cold weather to preheat the cylinders (not to provide an ignition
source).

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a fairly useful definition. Real diesels don't have precombustion
chambers and therefore don't NEED any glow plugs. The precombustion chamber
makes for a quieter engine. And Gawd knows we wouldn't want to hear the
engine running nowadays.