Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Two stroke motor without ENGINE OIL???

Harry K wrote:

I see that you have the explanation how they work. I apologize for
the 'rtfm' comment. Thinking back I was in the same position when
someone told me that diesel engines don't have spark plugs...well, not
after they are running at least.

Harry K

Diesels never have spark plugs. Some designs use glow plugs which are
actually just a little heating element to preheat the combustion chamber
.. Some designs have a heating element in a box in the intake which warms
the air before starting.

Its the heat of compression that fires a diesel. If the weather is warm
or you had a sufficiently beefy starter you could start one without glow
plugs.