Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default tiling kitchen counter tops

on 10/17/2007 11:06 AM I'm-just-fine said the following:
A quick hello again,
Sorry to Chris Lewis and SteveB, your
posts came in while I was writing my previous post.

Yeah Chris, I agree with your view, I will be going with the idea of
putting the tile directly onto marine ply.

And to Steve, tile can look dated if applied in that awful 70's
fashion. If you look around you can see some tile layouts that look
very tasteful and warm. We're going with a slate colored tile that's
6" square, with wood trim on the edges that will match the color of
the cabinets.

If you haven't bought the tile yet, when you do, ask the person what is
the best way to install the tile, that is, if you are buying it from a
tile store. If you are buying it from the big box store, that
information may not be available.

I'm also setting up the ply base in such a way that I'll
be able to remove the counter tops in 5 - 10 years time with relative
ease if we decide that we want to change the look to something else.
Cheers.......Tim

Good point. I recently re-tiled my countertop from the 4" ceramic tile
to 12" granite tile, and the removal of the old was made easy by the
prying up of the plywood from the underlayment.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY