Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default looking for particular form of blind rivet

"_" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 05:40:34 -0700, wrote:

On Oct 16, 8:24 am, _
wrote:
Had to drill a bunch of these out to get the body panels off my car.

The
look like a normal (large) pop-rivet on the outside, but on the inside

the
cylinder split into 4 tongues that curled outwards. I suppose the idea

is
to give a larger bearing surface on the blind side.

I'll need about 50 of 'em.

Hanson has "T rivets"
http://www.hansonrivet.com/w33.htm

That's them.

and "Tri-rivets"
http://www.hansonrivet.com/w36.htm

Those look nicer.

Has anyone use these enough to recommend one variety over another?

The T rivets are used where you need maximum strength, the Tri rivets are
used in soft material like plastic to prevent pull through.

I have seen the T rivets used to hold window regulators in a car door, and
if I recall these were 1/4" diameter and you needed the pop rivet tool that
looks like a tree branch lopper to set them.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.