Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rumble[_3_] Rumble[_3_] is offline

Default Timed light switching query

Franko wrote:
"Rumble" wrote in message
Franko wrote:
Hi all,
I installed a remote controlled automatic sliding gate last year which
has a 240v output feed for a courtesy light which is latched on for
approx 15 minutes after operation of the gate, either closing or opening.
I have bought myself a couple of bulkhead lights to connect up to this
but the missus wants them wired up so that they only operate during the
hours of darkness.
Can anyone please give me some advice as to the best possible way to do
this.
Thanks for any input,

Franko.

Listen to Owain, he's got the best solution. I agree that for best
results, the dusk/dawn sensor needs to be permanently powered.

Or, you could hack the gate controller box. If the gate controller box
has a relay for the courtesy light, then just feed this relay from the
switched live on a dusk/dawn sensor and connect your courtesy light as
normal.

Cheers Rumble, this is all going a bit over my head now with talk of hacking
the relay in the controller box, it was hard enough just getting the gate
motor set up with the limited space for wiring and the very poor instruction
manual ..... I think it all worked by luck in the end - the wiring diagram
is even worse but I think I may have a pdf of it on my pc at home so I'll
try to post an image somewhere when I get home and hopefully some kind
person can identify if this idea is workable.
ps. I may sound like a numbskull and some of you may be wondering if I
should be attempting something I have no knowledge about but I am very
careful around electricity and will not attempt it unless I understand the
logic behind it.
Thanks for everyones patience,
Franko.

By all means put the wiring diagram up and we'll see what we can come up
with.