Posted to atl.general,alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default A big thanks to Georgia Power

I would also get surge suppressor power strips for everything electronic. If
your furnace plugs into a regular outlet, put one there as well. These may
only work with a 3 prong grounded outlet.

You can also get a "whole house surge suppressor" which is installed in your
main electric panel by an electrician. I have both whole house AND surge
power strips for everything electronic. Never had a problem.

Surges can come from other sources than the wiring they fixed. Each time the
power blips on/off, there can be a surge. Or a neighbor can short out an
outlet and this can cause a surge at your house. Etc.

"The Sanity Inspector" wrote in message
After procrastinating for several years, and quite a few ruined small
appliances, I finally called Georgia Power's engineering department to
come change my household power line. For the second summer in a row,
I've sustained damage from power surges. For instance, I had to have
the motherboard in my furnace replaced again, second year in a row.
(The HVAC guy I hired replaced it both times, and gave me a steep
discount this time, even though it was out of warranty, and the
problem was neither his fault nor mine. I'll send you a
recommendation via email upon request).

So I phoned in to GP and passed along my problems to the engineering
section. They came out and replaced the wire, which was the original
1950s cloth-covered copper wire. They also replaced the neutral wire
anchor on the side of the house, which they said was the culprit. It
had become corroded and loose over the years, and this made the system
prone to surges, they said. They replaced with a different design of
attachment, which they said would not loosen. While they were out, I
asked them to make sure my system was properly grounded. It was, they
said. I asked because I had heard of people who had their wiring
grounded to their plumbing, and when the metal pipes were replaced by
plastic, then the ground would be gone.

So I'm hoping this will be the end of my surge problems. There was no
charge, since this was all on GP's side of wall. If you've been
having similar problems, it's worth a call.

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.