Posted to atl.general,alt.home.repair

Default A big thanks to Georgia Power

After procrastinating for several years, and quite a few ruined small
appliances, I finally called Georgia Power's engineering department to
come change my household power line. For the second summer in a row,
I've sustained damage from power surges. For instance, I had to have
the motherboard in my furnace replaced again, second year in a row.
(The HVAC guy I hired replaced it both times, and gave me a steep
discount this time, even though it was out of warranty, and the
problem was neither his fault nor mine. I'll send you a
recommendation via email upon request).

So I phoned in to GP and passed along my problems to the engineering
section. They came out and replaced the wire, which was the original
1950s cloth-covered copper wire. They also replaced the neutral wire
anchor on the side of the house, which they said was the culprit. It
had become corroded and loose over the years, and this made the system
prone to surges, they said. They replaced with a different design of
attachment, which they said would not loosen. While they were out, I
asked them to make sure my system was properly grounded. It was, they
said. I asked because I had heard of people who had their wiring
grounded to their plumbing, and when the metal pipes were replaced by
plastic, then the ground would be gone.

So I'm hoping this will be the end of my surge problems. There was no
charge, since this was all on GP's side of wall. If you've been
having similar problems, it's worth a call.

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.

Posted to atl.general,alt.home.repair

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 12:48:35 -0700, The Sanity Inspector
wrote:

[...]

If you had an open neutral, then your problem wasn't surges (although
some might call this situation a permanent surge!).

An open neutral could create a severe voltage imbalance on the two hot
legs of your 240 volt service so that one leg would be much higher
than 120V. and the other would be less than 120V., depending on your
wiring and what appliances you had on at any point in time.

Without being there, it sounds like that this was the condition your
power company rectified... Again, strictly speaking... An engineer
would not claim that these were power surges.

It was fortunate for you that your power company admitted that the
problem was on their side of the service entrance. Open neutrals can
and do occur in customer provided equipment as well.
Posted to atl.general,alt.home.repair

I would also get surge suppressor power strips for everything electronic. If
your furnace plugs into a regular outlet, put one there as well. These may
only work with a 3 prong grounded outlet.

You can also get a "whole house surge suppressor" which is installed in your
main electric panel by an electrician. I have both whole house AND surge
power strips for everything electronic. Never had a problem.

Surges can come from other sources than the wiring they fixed. Each time the
power blips on/off, there can be a surge. Or a neighbor can short out an
outlet and this can cause a surge at your house. Etc.

"The Sanity Inspector" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to atl.general,alt.home.repair

On Oct 17, 7:26 am, "Bill" wrote:
I would also get surge suppressor power strips for everything electronic. If
your furnace plugs into a regular outlet, put one there as well. These may
only work with a 3 prong grounded outlet.

You can also get a "whole house surge suppressor" which is installed in your
main electric panel by an electrician. I have both whole house AND surge
power strips for everything electronic. Never had a problem.

Surges can come from other sources than the wiring they fixed. Each time the
power blips on/off, there can be a surge. Or a neighbor can short out an
outlet and this can cause a surge at your house. Etc.
charge, since this was all on GP's side of wall. If you've been

Perversely enough, my computer's battery backup/surge protector was
one of the items that got fried this past time. I've had a couple of
people suggest the whole house surge suppressor, so I'll definitely
look into it. Thanks!

--
bruce
The dignified don't even enter in the game.
-- The Jam

Posted to atl.general,alt.home.repair

The Sanity Inspector wrote:

Perversely enough, my computer's battery backup/surge protector was
one of the items that got fried this past time. I've had a couple of
people suggest the whole house surge suppressor, so I'll definitely
look into it. Thanks!

About $50 and dirt simple to install if your hand fits a screwdriver. It
does require opening the circuit breaker box and connecting some wires (two
live, two neutrals, and a ground).

Posted to atl.general,alt.home.repair

I finally called Georgia Power's engineering department to
come change my household power line.

So I phoned in to GP and passed along my problems to the engineering
section. They came out and replaced the wire, which was the original
1950s cloth-covered copper wire. They also replaced the neutral wire
anchor on the side of the house, which they said was the culprit. It
had become corroded and loose over the years, and this made the system
prone to surges, they said.
{snip}
So I'm hoping this will be the end of my surge problems. There was no
charge, since this was all on GP's side of wall. .

Real glad your local utility did your home up right.

However, ahm-a, Am I the only one that feels that expending the major
effort of getting through to the 'Engineering' dept, getting them to send a
crew out to the customer's site, and repair the utility equipment is so
AMAZING (and maybe unusual) that it actually rates a BIG GLOAT on a
newsgroup? Is there a message in this?

Phil

Posted to atl.general,alt.home.repair

Phil-In-Mich. wrote:
[...]