Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] brucedpaige@gmail.com is offline

Default Dallas machinist 2, Bad guys 0

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 02:51:54 -0700, Brent
wrote:

On Oct 16, 1:44 am, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 19:57:55 -0400, "Tony" wrote:
It says the case is being referred to a Grand Jury. As they say, not even a
ham sandwich can escape being indicted by a Grand Jury. So this machinist
isn't off the hook yet.

Its in Texas, where " He needed killin" is a valid excuse. Plus no
charges will be filed so its proforma.

Gunner

Usually these kind of cases being brought before the Grand Jury is a
method of protecting the individual. If you are brought before the
Grand Jury and the jury returns a decision of "justified homicide"
then you cannot later be tried again. I believe that it also protects
one against a civil charge of "depriving someone of his right to rob
machine shops".

Bruce - Bangkok

"Rex" wrote in message
Police: Dallas Businessman Kills Second Intruder

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/14339830/d...s=dfw&psp=news

DALLAS -- For the second time in three weeks, police say the owner of a
Dallas machine shop has fatally shot an intruder who had broken into his
business.

Investigators say no charges will be filed against James Walton, but the
case will be referred to a Dallas County grand jury.

Police say Walton killed the suspected burglar with a shotgun blast inside
Able Walton Machine & Welding on Sunday. Walton lives above the shop and
was alerted to the intrusion by a motion sensor system.

Police identified the intruder as 37-year-old Jimmy Gannon of Ferris.

Walton also shot and wounded a second man Sunday outside of the shop.
Police said the man escaped, but was eventually detained for questioning.

Police say Walton shot and killed Raul Laureles about three weeks ago
after Laureles climbed through a pried-open window of the business. That
incident also was referred to a grand jury.
-------------------------

I may have to drive over and buy this guy a beer.
I expect there will be a line.
Of course, I'd go during daylight hours.

I remeber reading someonwhere that texas has a law on the books
specifically PERMITTING the use of force up to and including deadly
force against someone appearing to be stealing your property.

The law itself was from the old west and was put in place for cattle
rustling. But i had heard mention of a few repo man getting shot dead
and this law was used to clear the shooter.

Doesn't sound like the law is still on the books from the news article
though.

Brent

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)