Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default How to get rid of a fallen tree that is leaning on another tree?

Caesar Romano wrote:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 22:12:04 GMT, "Pete C."
wrote Re How to get rid of a fallen tree that is leaning on
another tree?:

Caesar Romano wrote:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:15:40 -0000, Joe wrote Re
How to get rid of a fallen tree that is leaning on another tree?:

I woke up this morning to find a tree in my back yard had broken off
and fell about 6 feet off the stump. It's is buttressed by some high
tree branches of an adjacent tree. It's about a 50 foot tree with no
real width to it just basically a big one foot
diameter log. I need to get it to fall so I can cut it up but it looks
like it's in a pretty secure lean. How can I safely cut this tree down?

This is a difficult situation. Here are some options to think about:

1) tie a cable to the bottom of the tree and winch/pull it so it falls

2) cut the tree that is holding up the broken tree and let them both
fall

3) leave them alone to fall of their own accord if they will not hurt
anything

4) call a pro

Both 1) and 2) can be dangerous if you don't have experience doing
them. Number 4) can be expensive.

I've opted for 3) with a 2-foot diameter cedar tree that fell against
and is being held up by an oak tree. I've been waiting for nine years
but it still hasn't fallen. I'll miss it when it does.

#3 is perhaps the most risky, having a known unpredictable hazard on
your property that will fall on that trespassing kid when it goes...

Did you notice the "if they will not hurt anything" part of #3? Would
a kid be an "anything"?

In my case, my nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. YMMV moron.

So you have the area fenced in and guarded? Never had kids trespassing -
ever? It only has to happen once. 1/4 mile (1,320') is not that much. I
have some 65 heavily wooded acres and trespassers are quite common,
particularly kids on ATVs and hunters.