Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.photography

Default Did I buy the worst two Nikon cameras (or are they all this bad?)

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:12:34 -0700, SMS
wrote:

There are a couple of advantages to Canon. First, their designs seem to
be more rugged, even the plastic ones. This is because Canon is more of
an engineering company than a marketing company.

Maybe. However, they're not so wonderful about fixing what few
engineering mistakes Canon does make. For example, the Error 18
problem which plagues their bottom of the line cameras:
http://www.e18error.com
This has actually been a benifit to me as I've been buying Canon
cameras that display Error 18 and repairing them. Clean out the sand,
un-jam the lens drive gears, and it's as good as ummm... used.

Second, Nikon U.S.A. is really strict about not honoring the warranty on
Nikon products purchased outside the U.S.A., while Canon doesn't make a
big deal about it.

Canon is marginal at honoring the warranty on bottom of the line
cameras. Two of the cameras I've fixed that displayed E18 were well
within the warranty period. Both were S510's. The authorized repair
center claimed that it was abused by the customer and therefore was
not covered under warranty. This may have been true, but I was able
to fix one by simply tinkering with the partly extended lens, and the
other by tearing it apart and removing some accumulated dust that was
jamming the gears.

Incidentally, I own a Canon A70, S510, A40, and just ordered a new
S5-IS. On the computer front, I really like Canon printers.

# 831-336-2558
#
http://802.11junk.com
#